Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote shutter release won't work in cold (Copal?)

Remote shutter release won't work in cold (Copal?)

I believe it's a Copal. Looks like one and it says "made in Japan" on it, and it's attached to a 47mm super-angulon.

And when I say cold, I mean about 10C or 50F.

I've tried to narrow down things a bit. It's not the cable release, since both of the cable releases that I have work well on my other cameras, and since they both work well on this Copal when weather is warm.

And I don't think it's related to the normal operation of the shutter (circled in green), since that works at all temp's.

It just becomes a problem at that remote attachment point (circled in red) in cooler weather. And when that happens, I have to trip the shutter non-remotely.

Is there some part of the assembly that transmits the remote action to the shutter mechanism which is susceptible to cold? Has anybody had similar problems with Copal shutters?

Thanks in advance.

Evan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shutter.JPG  

Re: Remote shutter release won't work in cold (Copal?)

I had a closer look at the mechanism. The pin from the cable release pushes a lever which is integral with the shutter button. I suspect that the pin is somehow slipping off of the lever when the temp's (or maybe the humidity) reach a certain point. Part of the problem is that the lever doesn't always present a perpendicular surface for the pin to push against. But another issue is that there is a small amount of wiggle room between the pin and its housing.

There could be a fitting issue in the cable release thread, and/or it does not push far enough.

You are not really using it in "cold" weather, if you were then a service center could use a cold weather lubricant. But the range of temperatures that you are mentioning isn't close to what require special lubricants. Sounds like you have a mechanical problem. Any camera repair shop should be able to fix it quickly. Unless there is a broken part that might be hard to get from Copal.

If it was my shutter I would probably send it in and have a CLA ( Clean Lube Adjust) done.
    Then it should be more or less timed accurately, work in COLD weather and give you many years of trouble free service, as long as you use it from time to time.

I have several Old trouble free shutters that as far as I know have never been apart. They get used every 2 or 3 months and still give me Stellar results. These shutters have been used in -65C temperatures and still worked right.
    However I also have 3 shutters that sat for years that need a service to work properly. Most likely because the grease had a chance to dry and gum things up.

I found another remote shutter release hanging around (a bulb type). So I think I'll just carry all three around and when the first one starts to malfunction, I'll bring out the other two. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcassandra View Post
    I found another remote shutter release hanging around (a bulb type). So I think I'll just carry all three around and when the first one starts to malfunction, I'll bring out the other two. Hopefully that'll solve the problem.
    That is what I would do, ignore the problem until it becomes something major and then costs a lot more to fix as well as not getting the shot I want. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    That is what I would do, ignore the problem until it becomes something major and then costs a lot more to fix as well as not getting the shot I want. Good luck!
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the cable release is the problem; not the lens. (and your sarcasm isn't helpful).

quixoticcassandra,
    I'm with Bob on this one.

You've already tried 2 cable releases and are still having issues. So they are not the issue.

There is one easy thing to test though. Try pushing the regular shutter button bypassing the cable all together.

One last thing to look at is triangle shaped preview / focus button. If it isn't all the way closed it will bind things up.

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcassandra View Post
    I'm coming to the conclusion that the cable release is the problem; not the lens. (and your sarcasm isn't helpful).
    But you originally said that it wasn't a cable release problem and then stated that it only happens in cool/"cold" weather. And that you had tried more then one release and they all also worked with other cameras.
    What has changed?