Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Heavy Is Your Field Kit?

How Heavy Is Your Field Kit?

When you go out walking around with your gear . . .how much do you take and how much does it weigh?

When backpacking/hiking?

When walking around in an urban setting?
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Re: How Heavy Is Your Field Kit?

For a short walk, an Anba Ikeda with a few lenses and film holders in a case is about 16 pounds.

Well, it depends, I don't have a set kit that I always carry. I pick and choose appropriately.

On the heavy side, my full backpack that I take on trips can fit my Chamonix 45n1 (or Linhof MT) as well as my Shen Hao 6x17 (or a 6x12 back instead). For lenses I'd usually have a spread of 47 or 58, and then 72 or 90, and definitely a 150, and then either a 300 or my Nikkor-T set with 360/500/720. Possibly add the 38mm if I'm shooting 6x12. And of course related film holders/filters/meters/etc. I think all total it's not more than 40-50 pounds.

For a midrange kit it's usually one of those cameras and 58/90/150 or possibly a slightly different 3-lens kit, occasionally 4 if I think I want a longer lens. This fits in a smaller backpack and is only 10-20 pounds depending.

If I want ultra-light, the bare minimum is just my camera and a 90mm of some sort and some film holders and filters (soon to be the TravelWide!). That can be under 10 pounds incl. tripod. I'll include a 58 or 65 sometimes and occasionally a small 150, like my G-Claron, which only adds a pound or two.

That's all for hiking. I don't have much of an "urban" setting but in a situation where I'm shooting handheld, I usually have my Linhof and a 150 (either APO Lanthar for small/light or Xenotar for low-light) along with sometimes my 90 and 250 with appropriate cams. If I'm going big I'll have my Tech IV with one of those lenses already on it as well. All that with film holders and filters is about 20 pounds. No tripod but sometimes I'll bring a monopod.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

My kit is a chamonix 045F1 + 125 & 210mm Fujin lenses, 3 to 6 holders, sekonic , the darkcloth and a loupe, everything pack in my old lowepro backpack trekker AW, no more than 5 Kg.

About 60 pounds. Zone VI 8x10, 2 to 3 lenses, 5 to 7 holders, Ries A100/250. Add a little for food and water

Obviously I do not backpack with this set-up, but I do hike all day with it.

For backpacking, I take the 4x5, which for sanity reasons I do not weigh, but I am guessing 15-20 pounds. Calumet/Gowland Pocketview, one lens (150mm, Copal #0), old Gitzo reporter w/ Bogan 3-way head, darkcloth, 5 to 6 holders, changing bag, two film boxes. Lately I have reduced weight by not taking a separate pack for the 4x5 -- I carry it on the tripod over my shoulder and a small shoulder bag for holders and meter. My last trip, I did not have room in the pack for the camera/tripod, so I hiked in with the pack on and the tripod/camera over my shoulder. On the way out I had room for the camera inside the pack.

I have played with the idea of taking the 5x7 someday.

I am going backpacking this week...just two nights, so I will take 6 to 8 loaded holders (4x5) and no changing bag for one full day of photographing. I might toss in the Rolleicord also with a few rolls of B&W film.

Edited: probably not the Rollei, but it will be a last-minute decision...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

44 lbs.: Chamonix 8x10, 3 lenses, 4 holders, loupe, dark cloth, meter, aluminum tripod.
    I have hiked up a small mountain with this set up (around 2.5 miles) but I was in good shape then.

My usual field kit consists of a LowePro Mini Trekker classic bag with a 4x5 field camera, two or three lenses (90mm, 135mm and 210mm) and a few of the usual other necessaries. This kit weighs around 12 pounds without a tripod. I guess the Berlebach 8043 adds around six pounds to that. If I'm planning a big day or am on an extended trip, I'll carry up to twelve film holders in a separate insulated bag. Otherwise, I just slip a few film holders in the outside pockets of the LowePro bag.

When traveling for work, I bring along the Crown Graphic with the stock 135mm Optar, a light meter, a few film holders, a box of film, an empty box to receive exposed film and a changing bag. I guess this all weighs around eight pounds or so but, I've never really checked. Everything except the film goes into my luggage.

I tend to leave the camera gear at home when backpacking.

Too much AND not enough.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

Mine is very light, but dont know what it weighs. 5x7 Nagaoka, black shirt, incident meter and some odds and ends in a photobackpacker zip up thing, a 210 in copal 1 and a f8 300 in copal 1, 4 holders in a cascading holder, all in a cheap and well worn Katmandu day pack. Plus a 3 section CF tripod with no head. DSLR kit would be worse. I want to enjoy my photography.

For my current project, I've been carrying a Chamonix 8x10, 2-3 lenses, 3 or 6 holders in cascade pouches, Gitzo CF tripod, dark cloth, meter, loupe, ND filters, small notebook, water, snack--all in a Photobackpacker P3. I'm guessing around 45 pounds. I was seriously out of shape and overweight this past Spring and this kit tired me out quickly. Since then, I've dropped 30 pounds, swim every day, and even with 30 more pounds to lose--the kit is comfortable to carry. I have a medium waist belt on the way to replace the large on my P3.