Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with new Tripod

Help with new Tripod

For the past year I've been using a Gitzo Series 1 mountaineer with my Master Technika I think it's time I retire it and get a proper LF tripod. I've been thinking of the Gitzo Series 3 or Series 4 Systematic tripod. I never used the center column extension so I won't miss it and the almost ground level spread is a big plus.

Would the series 4 be over kill for a 4x5? Should I go with a series 3 or just spend the extra $150 and go all the way for a Series 5?

If it maters I'm using a Manfrotto 410 geared head.
    Signature deleted as to not offend certain people

Re: Help with new Tripod

Tripod overkill is ok, as long as carrying the larger tripod isn't too much harder.
    And if you ever get heavier equipment, or move up in format, you'll be covered.

Since you don't use the center column, your Series 1 should do the trick just splendidly! (If it ain't broke don't fix it.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Why don't you go to one of the great NYC camera stores and try them out? L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Why don't you go to one of the great NYC camera stores and try them out? L
    +1^ Nothing beats a test drive.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I spend a good hour at B&H going over the tripod all brands and settled on the gitzo systematic series 4 traveller. Then I got around to looking at the series 3 and series 5. I couldn't decide and wanted some opinions.

I use a series 3 (3540LS) for almost everything. Without the center column it only weighs 3.8 lbs. but is plenty tall enough for me. If you can find a series 3 which matches the height you want, I would think it would be fine. If you get in a heavy wind you will need to weigh the tripod down.

I switched from a series 1 because it wasn't stable enough for an SLR with a long telephoto in the wind. The Gitzos without the center column save a surprising amount of weight ... less metal.

I also have a series 5 ten foot giant which I bought used. It has a center column, foam leg protectors, and is the heaviest CF tripod I've ever seen. It is definitely sturdier than the series 3 but the only time I use it is when I need the height.

Check the heights and weights of what is available. They may give you a more compelling reason than how stiff the tripod is.

Good luck, jeff

I went with Manfrotto for my Linhof Kardan and have never regretted it.

http://www.manfrotto.com/photo-suppo...ods-057-series
    Linhof Kardan re

Quote Originally Posted by mihag View Post
    I went with Manfrotto for my Linhof Kardan and have never regretted it.

http://www.manfrotto.com/photo-suppo...ods-057-series
    I used to really like Bogen (now manfrotto) had about 3-4 Tripods form them over the years. But recently Manfrotto had become too mainstream, being sold at Best Buy and Costco of all places. Even though I didn't want to sell them I had to get rid of them. I do like their heads though and have two 410 geared heads and those will probably be replaced by a Arca-Swiss C1

I see no problem in being a maninstream company, they are after all a worldwide leading brand and their quality is impeccable. The 057 series is made of carbon fibres and megnesium joints. It really feels like a quality piece of equipment.
    Linhof Kardan re