Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harman Technology Purchased

Re: Harman Technology Purchased

The news might not be entirely bad... At least one good sign the company is healthy, is that it is being sold, (which means that the books have been balanced, and an attractive investment) rather than filing for bankruptcy (or re-organization)... Or a complete shut-down...

Granted, ours is a niche market, but without a lot of high growth potential... But with a lot of big businesses these days, they have been expanding into smaller markets and have lowered their expectations, relying on smaller income streams (but a lot of them)...

Let's wait and see what happens... (Not that we have much choice...)

Steve K

We'll just have to wait and see.
    Ilford makes a lot of classic, as well as unique products which I enjoy using.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The other Ilford, it would appear - the Adox item says Marly, Switzerland, not Mobberley.
    Yes the old Tellko factory bought by Ciba who later also bought Ilford. so it's from the Cibachrome/Ilfochrome and Galerie Inkjet coating plant.

The Ilford site at Mobberly is just too large for them nowwhich brings high overheads. When it was modernised in the 1980's there was plenty of room for expansion, ground space space allocated for a new colour coating building they had planned to start making C41 & E6 films and started selling re-badged Sakura films here in the UK, I still have a roll of 35mm Ilfochrome E6 film somewhere..

Harman (Ilford) have been planning for sometime to reduce their footprint, this will significantly reduce their business rates (which are high in the UK)and heating costs and allow greater profitability.

Ian

In the last years, it all came down to adapting to a shrinking market. Ilford is a big player in that small market. If they manage to produce efficiently on a small scale, they can be successful in the long run. Kodak struggled with that, Ilford might have more experience - b/w has become a niche market long ago. Let's hope Ilford and their products will stay with us for a long time. Let's not forget that the only way to keep them in business is buying their products. Lamenting about the loss has never kept a company afloat.

Suggestion: FP4 in all sizes from Minox to 20x24 sheet film. One paper, MGFB Classic in 8x10 to 20x24. End of list.

Not for me! Add HP-5+, Ortho Plus, Galerie graded, and Postcard paper to that list!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

In 2005, I panicked and stocked up my freezer on HP5+ (I've worked my way through about half of that supply). I'm not going to panic this time. Hopefully we won't see a huge increase in film price like we have seen with Kodak/Alaris.

Interesting that no one mentioned the annual ULF special offering.

I certainly hope that has been profitable for them...

Quote Originally Posted by Len Middleton View Post
    Interesting that no one mentioned the annual ULF special offering.

I certainly hope that has been profitable for them...
    Repeated reports have claimed that, at best, it's been break-even. Done as an accommodation to customers. I'll be very interested to see if the new "private equity" owners think that's a good idea.

Dave Karp

I sure hope so. Or I will have to start cutting down 8x10 to WP!