Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8x10, extreme enlargements, no weight /price concern - which would be best lenses?

8x10, extreme enlargements, no weight /price concern - which would be best lenses?

My intent is to shoot 8x10, color negative film for big if not extreme enlargements (like 150 x 100 inches). I shoot contemporary art what means that I am not concerned about weight of lenses because all the scenery and subjects are in urban zones and my camera is an aluminum Gibellini.

I like tech specs but to a certain degree. I feel that if I buy an very-very good lenses I won't change them for a long time. If it make a difference I would just buy best choices.

Would you guys be so kind to recommend me three basic lenses? Something about 240-250, 300-320 and 450-480 focal lens.

thanks.

ps I have had some personal discussions with few users of this forum but than I've been suggested to open a discussion about it.

Re: 8x10, extreme enlargements, no weight /price concern - which would be best lense

A photographer after my own heart regarding lens selection. I don't think I can carry 8x10 anymore plus my economic situation deteriorated a few years ago... but I'm subscribing to this thread anyway!!

If you're sticking to three lenses then I would suggest going a bit wider than 240mm though. If you can afford it I'd suggest a 210 SSXL... oh that's a sexy lens.

Re: 8x10, extreme enlargements, no weight /price concern - which would be best lense

If you are looking for maximum sharpness the Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S lenses are said to be among the sharpest. They made lenses in 240mm, 300mm and 360mm focal lengths.

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/Arch...7-42__8226.pdf

The popular Nikkor M 450mm lenses are very sharp and contrasty.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/pdf/Nik...rmatLenses.pdf

My intent is to shoot 8x10
    Aperture selection, placement of the focus plane and appropriate tripod legs will be the determining factors. These are the basics of 8x10 photography and can take years to master. This can't be bought (unless you are hiring an 8x10 camera operator for your project). Wouldn't it be great if one could just buy a camera and start making great art? Good luck with your project.

Quote Originally Posted by arkadi View Post
    My intent is to shoot 8x10, color negative film for big if not extreme enlargements (like 150 x 100 inches). I shoot contemporary art what means that I am not concerned about weight of lenses because all the scenery and subjects are in urban zones and my camera is an aluminum Gibellini.

I like tech specs but to a certain degree. I feel that if I buy an very-very good lenses I won't change them for a long time. If it make a difference I would just buy best choices.

Would you guys be so kind to recommend me three basic lenses? Something about 240-250, 300-320 and 450-480 focal lens.

thanks.

ps I have had some personal discussions with few users of this forum but than I've been suggested to open a discussion about it.
    APO-Sironar-S in 240mm and 300mm, although I would rather use the 210mm APO-Sironar-W for the wider lens. For the longer lens, a 480mm Ronar or a19 inch Artar Red Dot but, if I were going to have only 3, I would substitute a 24 inch Artar Red Dot for the 19 inch lens.

thanks to all for your replies and opinions. In few days I got the knowledge I've been looking for. I'll go for Apo Sironars-S

Once you get some good negatives, if you go the digital route, I'd suggest an epson for your proof/evaluation/small prints and send away to a drum scan service for the 100+ inch prints.

I am surprised no one has mentioned the Computars f/9. 210/240/270/305 I have had a convertible 210 for three decades now and it is astoundingly sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Aperture selection, placement of the focus plane and appropriate tripod legs will be the determining factors. These are the basics of 8x10 photography and can take years to master. [...]
    Given the technical nature of his project (if it is flat artwork), are there any laser alignment tools we could use on site?

I think it's easy. ..but really easy. I don't immagine myself standing there wondering about aperture or focus plane.
    Just got a super-yuper carbon fiber Manfrotto tripod... the best money could buy from Manfrotto.