Thread: Where to repair Ilex Shutter?

Where to repair Ilex Shutter?

I have Wide Field Paragon 65mm f8 lens in Ilex#1 shutter (white one).

Shutter works well only at B and T, it fires same speed at all other settings. Where can i get this shutter fixed (in US), and how much would it cost?

I'd suggest contacting the folks at www.skgrimes.com to get a quote. Although they may need to actually see the shutter to determine a final price, they may be able to give you a price range for the repair. I've not used them for shutter repair myself, but they have a good reputation.

Yuri,
    Your shutter might respond to a cla, which usually go for anywhere between $60-80. As for recommendations, what part of the country are you located? There are repair shops scattered across the country, but it is no doubt safer to deal with a shop that has been recommended by a satisfied customer. Also, some shops will refuse to service certain lenses because they don't have the parts available for some of the older ones.

Good LUck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Try Carol at e-mail

flutotscamera@earthlink.net

In Whittier, CA

Very good, very reasonable $$, very nice people.

~)

Thanks! I'm in New York.

Yuri,

I agree with Steve - send your shutter (without the lens) to Carol Miller of Flutot's camera. She has repaired many shutters for me and she is great to deal with - every week you get an email from her with an update on the progress of your shutter. A CLA will cost you only $45 plus shipping. There is no better value out there.

Juergen
    Juergen

Yuri,
    I'd like to chime in with Steve and Juergen about Carol Miller at Flutot's. Though I've only had one shutter fixed by her (and ancient Ilex #5), I can say that she was wonderful. Maybe this is SOP for shutter repair, but she fixed (CLA'd) immediately, then let sit on the shelf for a few days before re-checking to be sure it had not reverted to its old habits. Though it was not possible to adjust it perfectly, I do know exactly what speeds I've now got b/c of the Shutter Speed Report she included. She gave me a number of email updates, explained the limitations in adjusting my ancient contraption. I shipped Priority Mail and she did the same on return. No problems. Though I'm in Georgia, the West Coast is not a problem for me.

Robert McClure

I too strongly recommend Carol Miller at Flutot's. She has repaired and/or cleaned several of my shutters. If it is not listed above, her email address is: flutoscamera@earthlink.net