Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GAS BURST Agitation System DIY

Re: GAS BURST Agitation System DIY

Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Where I work there is/was a Wing-Lynch 4 or 5 that could be available. It was complete, and set up for color (c41 and E6 I think.). But the throughput needed to keep it up and in shape was more than I could deal with, you really needed to be running pretty high volume through it to make it worth it. I think it's still sitting unused, but haven't checked in the last year or two.
    I saw a youtube of commercial D&D, way out of my league. I have one person suggest I setup for color and he will hire me. I don't want color and I don't want do OP processing.

The second timer arrived and installed.

My set-up will be fine. Next month a N2 tank and get a handle on gas consumption. N2 will be silent, my compressor disturbs the dark airs.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I saw a youtube of commercial D&D, way out of my league. I have one person suggest I setup for color and he will hire me. I don't want color and I don't want do OP processing.

The second timer arrived and installed.

My set-up will be fine. Next month a N2 tank and get a handle on gas consumption. N2 will be silent, my compressor disturbs the dark airs.
    One thing I read in my booklets that came with my Kodak timer and valve was the need to humidify the N2 to keep the orifices of the gas distribution plenums from clogging with crystals. I think this was intended for labs running color that ran the system 8 hours a day continuously. I only mention this as it was news to me, I don't think that it was a problem with B&W developer. I wish I had the volume to do this, its very cool!! I have a friend that used a set up like this for sheet and roll film in baskets. This guy is a real darkroom Dude. He would load Nikor reels with 35mm B&W Tri-X back to back (2 rolls on one reel) Never had a problem. He shot catalog shots on 8x10 Ektachrome with a Deardorff. Got to keep this stuff Alive!

I was wondering what a gas burst system actually did, thanks for the vid. Actually looks quite doable! Nice. (I'm assuming it's Best for film in hangers ie., LF only?)

Interesting. Just saw the response above - so it can be used for any film as well.
    But would timing be changed much from say normally agitated development?

Quote Originally Posted by analoguey View Post
    I was wondering what a gas burst system actually did, thanks for the vid. Actually looks quite doable! Nice. (I'm assuming it's Best for film in hangers ie., LF only?)

Interesting. Just saw the response above - so it can be used for any film as well.
    But would timing be changed much from say normally agitated development?
    I think it may be more like rotary processing which is continuous agitation. I can agitate any way I want by adjusting on time, off time and number of cycles. I could also do continuous agitation.

Michael Kadillak says in post #8, he does stand and semi stand with N2, which perhaps means he agitates with a long off cycle. Maybe 1 minute of initial agitation, then every 15 minutes for a short time. I am just guessing, I have no idea how Michael uses his system or his chemistry.
    Tin Can

Hmmm. Interesting, I'm following the other thread you started on chemistry. Looks a doable project but project nonetheless. :-)

What kind of volume of gas release are these systems dealing with, and do you have to account for any kind of pre-heating of your incoming gas lines to avoid temperature shifts in your chemistry? (I've never dealt with a gas burst system in photography, other than to know of their existence, but have dealt with a somewhat similar process in a project for an industrial chemical production system in the past where we had real headaches with temperature control around the gas bubbles.)

Randy,
    A full size tank of Nitrogen will probably last you a year or more. You may want to consider the smaller tank which should last you several months unless you are doing a lot of film - that is more than 100 8x10's each month.

[...] Next month a N2 tank and get a handle on gas consumption. N2 will be silent, my compressor disturbs the dark airs.
    There are silent, or very quiet air compressors. Some are as quiet as normal conversation at three feet. The less expensive have CFM in free-air mode too low for power tools or spray painting, but are possibly adequate for burst, and with at least a 1 gallon tank they might work for you.

On my cheap compressor for the garage, the intake is the noisy part. Fortunately it takes common black gas pipe. Extending it considerably helps, but you have to experiment with length lest it 'burble' obnoxiously.

N2 is readily available here from welding and gas suppliers. Delivery is included.

I'm among the many following your thread. It's invaluable.

The only way to buy N2 reasonably is from the local welding supply. Some sell the tank, some rent, both are the same price! 150 CF costs about the same as smaller tanks. Refill requires pickup and delivery, in my area that's $25 next day. Gas is cheap.

Do NOT buy eBay new or used tanks from anyone. Your local will not refill it. They want only their tanks so they know what they have.

Also you should be well aware of proper handling of N2 tanks, pipe fitting, regulator requirements.

I am, since I used 300 Cf 4000 PSI N2 tanks by the dozens every day for decades. My N2 will be the 2000 PSI tank, which still requires a lot of respect. Here's a youtube 'expert' doing at least one thing wrong. Can you spot his error?
    Tin Can

[... snip great information ...] I am, since I used 300 Cf 4000 PSI N2 tanks by the dozens every day for decades. My N2 will be the 2000 PSI tank, which still requires a lot of respect. Here's a youtube 'expert' doing at least one thing wrong. Can you spot his error?
    The dummy does not have the tank in a stand or chained in a cart. God help him if it tips over. Gas Torpedo!
    --
    Jac who prefers 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen.