My quick and dirty approach for tripod shots not far from the car is:

8x10 mounted on a folded tripod, carried over the shoulder infantry style with lens in situ and a single, loaded film holder carried aboard.
Light meter and loupe suspended from my neck, notebook and pen in shirt pocket and in a day pack I'll have my filter kit, cable release(s) dark cloth, and if necessary another film holder or two, possibly (but not likely) a second lens or jacket. There are outside pockets on my pack for water bottles.

For short distances where I know what's waiting, this has worked very well for me in various locations.

Closer in I can fit nearly everything in a surplus GI canvas water cooler shoulder bag. It is heavy but quick since I can pull the bag out of the trunk with one hand and the tripod with the other and be on my way. If I need to carry a lot of film holders I have a second cooler bag.

I have a Lowe Pro XL pack for trips, but it's heavy and I'm in no shape to try anything so demanding right now, which brings me to my current challenge---getting my 8x10 to a location one mile down the trail and back. Wheeled carts aren't allowed and the trail is too beat up for one anyway. I need but one lens (which fits inside the 'dorff,) and at least two film holders. the idea of carrying the camera aboard the tripod isn't very appealing for that distance, but packing up the monster LowePro is even less appealing.

The camera IIRC will fit in my circa 2005 Mountainsmith Ghost pack and I'm hoping a couple of film holders will fit as well. I'll still have to carry the tripod since there are no lashing points, but it is only for a mile and without the wieght of the mounted camera.

If the Ghost won't accommodate the film holders I'll have to use an old, cavernous Swiss Army surplus Bergen style pack---admittedly uncomfortable in the suspension department but still much lighter than the LowePro and, well, it's only for one, OK, two miles.

I'm open to suggestions/comments/recommendations.