Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff dates

Deardorff dates

Just saw this. I have 2 of these right now, both with similar SN's and both have dates marked on the bottom of the front frame, as well as signed by "JG". Do all of them have this?

Re: Deardorff dates

Mine has no such markings, but it does have the front name plate serial # 4004.

Not on mine either. IIRC my 'dorff's serial # is circa 1954 or there about.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Read Deardorff history site all becomes clear about dating and production.

Those scratched dates are likely owners or bad repairmen.

A few decades ago smart men, always men I bet, marked everything with their SS number...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    A few decades ago smart men, always men I bet, marked everything with their SS number...
    In my era when we finished building a custom motorcycle we stamped our military number out of sight under the frame. The number was our surname first initial and the last four of our military number. Back then, they did not use SSN.
    --
    S0332

Read Deardorff history site all becomes clear about dating and production.

Those scratched dates are likely owners or bad repairmen.

Where on there is this mentioned? I have read this page many a time, but cannot recall any reference to this, on two different cameras of the same era.

As for marking, when i was a kid there was a police service that would come to peoples homes to etch id/ss numbers onto valuables so that they could later be identified when recovered after they were stolen. It was a small place, and stuff like that really happened from time to time break ins, recovery of stolen goods etc), and homes who had had this done got a little tag to pot on the door frame stating "the property in this house is marked!" with a little police logo.
    As my parents house was broken into several times (never through that door), i am not sure that was a useful deterrant, not to mention the rate appliances are replaced in this post post modern era makes this kind of thing useless.
    I am sorry, i do not get the "always men" reference, but i digress, and would like to keep the thread on track with regards to the dates on these two cameras.

I think the dates correspond to the actual serial number, though will wait to hear back from Ken Kough.

I am sure there are more folks here who have older v8's and can check theirs..

Hi, I have seen cameras of various vintages marked with initials and or dates scratched or stamped in various places.
    I have a V8 here (confirmed by Ken Hough) from June 1963, with a hand scratched "JG" in the same place, the bottom side of the front of the front extension.
    I also have a camera from presumably February 1950, before serial numbers which were introduced in May of the same year, it has factory original front swing, and "2-50" scratched in two or three hidden places and a set of initials (not "JG")
    This is a thing. For whatever reason, certain workers liked to mark their work. I suspect this was discouraged by the bosses, but will probably never know. Maybe they took away our guys letter stamps between '60 and '63. : )

I have a friend (another forum member) who has a V8 from '37 with the complete date stamped into the cast aluminum turntable.

OH, EDIT, they do not all have this......I had a '56 with no such marks, and have an early '50s one here for restoration for another client with no marks.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Where on there is this mentioned? I have read this page many a time, but cannot recall any reference to this, on two different cameras of the same era.

As for marking, when i was a kid there was a police service that would come to peoples homes to etch id/ss numbers onto valuables so that they could later be identified when recovered after they were stolen. It was a small place, and stuff like that really happened from time to time break ins, recovery of stolen goods etc), and homes who had had this done got a little tag to pot on the door frame stating "the property in this house is marked!" with a little police logo.
    As my parents house was broken into several times (never through that door), i am not sure that was a useful deterrant, not to mention the rate appliances are replaced in this post post modern era makes this kind of thing useless.
    I am sorry, i do not get the "always men" reference, but i digress, and would like to keep the thread on track with regards to the dates on these two cameras.

I think the dates correspond to the actual serial number, though will wait to hear back from Ken Kough.

I am sure there are more folks here who have older v8's and can check theirs..
    Did you read this page carefully?

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Details.htm
    Tin Can

OK, I just got off the phone with Ken Hough. "JG" was a Deardorff factory worker who took particular pride in the quality of the parts he was responsible for, ie, the front extensions. that's all it means, according to Ken, nothing more. Further, Ken feels that scratched or stamped dates were generally done by owners for identification in case of theft.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Did you read this page carefully?

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/Details.htm
    yes, there is nothing there about dates on the bottom of the front rack.