Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Falling out love with Colour

Foamer

Re: Falling out love with Colour

From 1985 to 2005, I shot a lot of film in different formats but very rarely b&w. With digital from 2005 to present I very rarely did anything with b&w. However, about five years ago I began buying old cameras (1900 to 1955) and rarely shoot color in any of them. B&W just seems more accurate to the period. Just the past couple of weeks I began shooting some Gold 400 and Ektar in my Nikon F3/T. I kind of like it now.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Unfortunately, when I shoot black and white i become absolutely mesmerized by the following few details.

I like my photos with a variety of shades of grey (I sometimes think I have discovered a new one), I like my photos with beautiful (to my eyes) detail in the shadows and, (sorry Outdoor Photographer magazine) I like my photos that are creamy and not all-out sharp and contrasty.

Others would probably look at one of these photos and not be at all interested but I can look at them all day.

I have to say that I have fallen back in love with colour, The tri colour over palladium prints are exactly what the doctor ordered for me and my solarization project.

Now I must admit that my colour will never match the realism of inkjet, but for me the subtle tones and layering of colour on top of palladium is exquisite. I can now quad tone with Black and White and produce a colour image, as well I can go back to my medium format colour negatives and bring them to print.

Now that I have 2 plastic inside-the-eye lenses (rather than the 2 natural ones I was born with) I should be able to appreciate color more. I do, but I don't shoot color.

When I was between operations I was amazed that the world through the un-operated eye looked as yellow as a #2 filter. After the second surgery everything was bright and clear. More than before, I stand in awe at the color work people on this forum produce, and I think they have a special talent. Bravo!

But when I get a chance to go out -- not as often as I'd like, as I approach 70 with a bum leg and a bad back -- I view the colorful wonders of nature and look for the shadows between the light. Like a musician friend said, it's the pause between the notes.

Maybe it's something in the brain.

May the Light be Right for all of us.

David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography
    David Beal
    Memories Preserved Photography, LLC
    "Making tomorrow's memories by
    capturing today's happiness" (R)