Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most valuable tools for working LF photographers

Re: Most valuable tools for working LF photographers

I recently picked up this Peak Zooming Loupe. A little spendy but SO awesome...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oom_Loupe.html

$$$$

would be first

then a big ol heavy tripod is next

Quality shoes and proper clothing.

Kirk's brain won't do you any good if you feet, knees or back are hurting or you are shivering from the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Barrett View Post
    I recently picked up this Peak Zooming Loupe. A little spendy but SO awesome...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...oom_Loupe.html
    It is very nice but it is really designed for prints, not focusing as pictured here. A focusing loupe has an opaque skirt, as does one for looking at transparencies. Does that transparent skirt come off?
    Also, zooming from 8 to 16x is a bit much for ground glass focusing. You would usually be using 4 or 6x and 8x at the extreme. So the zoom part isn't that useful since it starts at 8x.

For the price of just that loupe I could find a LF camera, adequate lens, film holders, and cheap loupe. By scrimping thus, it's easier to work less and still balance income and expenses. The transparent base is a practical asset. It can always be masked with black tape when used with a camera. As for the high magnification, seeing the texture of the ground glass insures that the eye is correctly focused.

A Zone VI viewing filter: small, light, no batteries required.

I cover mine with white tape to better simulate the appearance of a matted print.

I agree with Kirk's brain.
    Followed by curiosity.

For taking and printing hardware it depends on what you want to accomplish---certainly a dark place to load and unload film is valuable, as is a cable release.
    If you are shooting a handheld Speeder or Linhof then a tripod, dark cloth, loupe etc.... aren't nearly as valuable as they would be if you're shooting a camera requiring a tripod.
    If you are shooting an 8x10 or even a 5x7, then an enlarger becomes less valuable if you're interest is in contact printing.
    For B&W, filters I find are extremely valuable, and of course good film holders!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    For the price of just that loupe I could find a LF camera, adequate lens, film holders, and cheap loupe. By scrimping thus, it's easier to work less and still balance income and expenses. The transparent base is a practical asset. It can always be masked with black tape when used with a camera. As for the high magnification, seeing the texture of the ground glass insures that the eye is correctly focused.
    You easily see the grain at 4x. While seeing that the loupe is properly focused on the grain of the gig you don't want so much magnification that you lose the important details due to too much magnification either. Also, when you get to extreme magnifications with a zoom type loupe that can not increase the diameter of it's lens then as you increase magnification the brightness of the image is reduced making focusing more difficult. You want the brightest image in the loupe possible. Not the dimmest. And taping the clear area of an almost $300.00 loupe is hardly the best way to treat that loupe!

Oh you can hand-hold a 10x8 pinhole. The results are just a bit ... how shall we say? ... impressionistic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    You easily see the grain at 4x. While seeing that the loupe is properly focused on the grain of the gig you don't want so much magnification that you lose the important details due to too much magnification either. Also, when you get to extreme magnifications with a zoom type loupe that can not increase the diameter of it's lens then as you increase magnification the brightness of the image is reduced making focusing more difficult. You want the brightest image in the loupe possible. Not the dimmest. And taping the clear area of an almost $300.00 loupe is hardly the best way to treat that loupe!
    Yes, 4X was certainly enough on my old original B&J ground glass, but I grind them finer than that. Now, after cataract surgery, I should do some more testing. I have yet to explore the effect of maximum camera lens aperture on different finishes on the GG.