Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Prints??

Re: Big Prints??

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Ask Clyde Butcher about using RC paper. He's not the only one who got bit by the stuff.
    ?Details?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    I'm on my third large roll (42"x98ft.) of Ilford Classic, generally souping in Moersch 4812...and have not (yet) had any of the mottling problems mentioned earlier. Would love to hear more users of this paper chime in to get a broader sense of this "problem."
    Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I have used a few rolls of this and have not seen any mottling as well. I see no problem . Mottling usually is a issue with mechanics of getting paper into the developer , and or, not stopping the development fast enough.

Grey background are significantly difficult and if one does not have the emulsion covered within the first 15 seconds then trouble will occur.. Very complicated images will show less issues than flat grey scenes due to camouflage.

Sorry, I didn't mean to provoke a discussion about Ilford's papers and sidetrack the OP's thread. It was only meant as a point of reference because printing larger becomes a different animal with logistics and handling. Of course, everything depends on processing methods, paper size, subject matter, etc. If you haven't had issues, that's awesome. I spent several weeks discussing the mottling matter with Neil Hibbs at Harman Tech. He and his team were fantastic. Take that as you wish. I only hope that lots of big prints are being made.

Drew Wiley

I have no doubt whatsoever that the new Classic and Cooltone papers by Ilford as more sensitive to mottling than most papers, esp if someone is accustomed to
    MGIV. This has nothing to do with emulsion flaws. You just have to be thoughtful about quickly and evenly wetting the paper in the developer, and likewise being quite consistent about the stop bath. Not the best choice of paper for casual students. Otherwise, I love these new papers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    I have an automatic roll paper dispenser, but I also have a Kodak publication about making large and mural sized prints that has instructions on making a paper cutter for rolls.
    Could you tell me the name / number of that Kodak publication? Thank you!

Thanks Greg, I appreciate it! Those publications are well worth tracking down.

Hey Marco- I have quite a good selection of Kodak publications I would donate to Gallery 44 if you wish.. not sure about the one you are looking for , but I was given a whole pile from an old Kodak rep friend and I am willing to part with them to G44

Sorry Greg- I think G44 is where they are going. I try to donate anything I can to this great facility here in Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    If they don't want them, I do, Bob.

Can we maybe first scan them and that way we can distribute them as PDF's for us all?

no
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Can we maybe first scan them and that way we can distribute them as PDF's for us all?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    no
    Would you think G44 would be able to do it? Or willing?

I'm not sure if your reply was more about not wanting to because of the effort, or not able to, or because you don't want to share the knowledge?

Isn't what this place is supposed to be about? Distributing knowledge to help others of our community? It would be one thing if you could still buy these publications in the store, but we can't, so I thought spreading the info by making PDF's would be valuable to us as a community?

Am I wrong?