Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help blackening brass shim stock for new shutter and iris blades

Need some help blackening brass shim stock for new shutter and iris blades

Hi all,

Already tried gun blue (way to harsh : getting a nasty crust).

Found some "cupric treatment" powder in a plant store (hope it is copper carbonate). Can no longer find ammonia in stores (and lost the one quart bottle that I had) :-(

Also have copper sulfate on hand, muriatic acid, acetic acid (of course), nitric acid (to passivate SS tig welds), sulfuric acid (battery acid) and some other house products like TSP etc...

Is it possible to still buy a bottle of ammonia in a hardware store in the US ? (border is quite close and I go from time to time to pick up my auction purchases).

Any other suggestion (my green dishwashing soap did not work either, nor did the dishwasher soap).

Thanks in advance !
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Re: Need some help blackening brass shim stock for new shutter and iris blades

The stock finish on AK-47's is old motor oil spread on the surface, and heated with a torch flame...

Liver of sulfur solution is used to blacken in jewelry making...

Teflon paint is used for sliding parts, (and tough!!!)

Steve K

edit; oops, my screen was on zoom, and missed the shutter and iris blades part... (Too much heat to distort parts...) Sorry!!!

The liver of sulfur solution would work... Try a 99 cent store in the cleaning supply section for ammonia...

Pierre, i have what you need. its silica acid and it will turn your brass in to mat black. i use this oxidant to finish some watch parts. like tis one; this is braonze after treatment (watch case not yellow, more natural parts)

i am in Montreal as well and you can just bring parts and we can make them black shoot me PM

I tried to find "silica acid", but I find no mention of it anywhere... (Is this a typo???)

If you can describe or link the process, please, as it would be useful...

Thanks in advance,

Steve K

Need some help blackening brass shim stock for new shutter and iris blades

Ammonia is available at places like Walgreens or Lowe's. Looking in the cleaning section. Just bought some myself.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

There is a chemical supply house on the Bay that sells small quantities of "reagents". Lab quality stuff. I bought an ounce of 28% ammonia recently.
    Thread killer.

won't selenium toner blacken brass?

Thanks to all !

Will keep the liver of sulfur in mind and will still shop for some ammonia when crossing the border again (understand it can also be used to clean up tarnish on old brass).

There is some selenium in the gun blue I bought, as well as hydrochloric acid and copper sulfate. Not yet into toning but would certainly test selenium when I do.

Luka, thanks for the offer : Mat finish on the watch is really striking : That will obviously work ! Looking forward to meeting you (PM sent).

Just to satisfy potential curiosity, here is what the blades/leaves currently look like :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shutter blades photo 5 meg-2.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	138276

Thanks again,
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:

Quote Originally Posted by Pierre 2 View Post
    Can no longer find ammonia in stores (and lost the one quart bottle that I had) :-(

Is it possible to still buy a bottle of ammonia in a hardware store in the US ? (border is quite close and I go from time to time to pick up my auction purchases).
    The first place I would have looked is in a grocery store. I am curious if you tried that.

Terry, to satisfy you curiosity : It seems Grocery stores in Quebec (as well as hardware stores) are no longer allowed to sell this, or maybe more precisely, no longer willing to sell ammonia for it now requires some sort of transport permit (as I have been told by a seemingly well informed lady in a big retail outfit). This requirement would have been in place for a few years already, hence my unsuccessful quest all over the place. Still, I may still have missed a forgotten bottle or the place were it would still be carried...
    Pierre Leduc
    HTML Code: