Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 metal folding round up - Toyo 810m, Canham JMC , MasterView

8x10 metal folding round up - Toyo 810m, Canham JMC , MasterView

Hello Gents, there ware several treads lately about K.B Canham JMC 810 and Toyo M810, am lucky enough to have all cameras at hand so why not making some visual compactions. Mr Ari Tapiero was kind enough to lent me his Toyo 810M and to make this possible. I have added one more camera to the mix Kodak Master View 8x10 but a lack of one more extra tripod forced me to do this camera separately.

there is tons of references, numbers, and charts for all 3 cameras on a web and i wont try to compare them, my test was real life not based on data but on a user/ owner point of view. this is personal view so please keep this in mind; what is important to me could be irrelevant to someone.

finally about cameras:

- Kodak Master View AKA metal field 8X10, restaurateur with new bellows, improved, friction plates, modified focus rack, converted to Linhof Tehnika boards and Yenke screen

- Toyo 810M, this is second gen camera converted to 810M II front standard turns 180 degrees and there is unlimited (limited by bellows ) swing. Camera has a new custom 950mm long bellows. camra is fitted with Linhof Tehnika boards adapter, custom GG

- K.B Canham JMC 810 custom of the shelf camera only fitted with Linhof Tehnika boards adapter

in theory all cameras are as close as they can be: all metal, folding taking same lens.

so lets start! i will be limited on 3 photos per post and it will take me some times so please stay tuned

FOLDED

All 3 cameras fold up. Toyo is the biggest in a group Canham is lightest. Kodak folds in a metal box and it looks indestructible. however GG on Kodak is unprotected and same as Canham it needs insert style protector. Toyo has a GG protector built-in and once folded its most solid in a group. worst in a group is Canham: it locks with a nylon strap, camera is all exposed and its not tough and resistant as we would expect from field camera. in a way it has similar vibe to Tehnikardan but in my opinion its more fragile then Linhof. Physically Toyo is heaviest, has biggest footprint and biggest volume in a group. Kodak has smallest footprint and its smallest in volume. and Canham is lightest with smallest weight by far.

please let me finish the review before you start placing comments... to be continued...
    Last edited by cikaziva; 11-Aug-2015 at 13:44.

Re: 8x10 metal folding round up - Toyo 810m, Canham JMC , MasterView

/uu96/nejad_ljemani/P1030527_zps4l9anekh.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

SETUP

all 3 are easy to set up. Kodak is the fastest in a group and Canham slowest and most complected. Once you get the what Canham is going it becomes easier. i find folding Canham is harder then raising it up.

FRONT MOVEMANTS

Canham has base and axsial front tilt. it has nice feature how you can lock up guides for rise/fall and get rid of axial titl or add it if you want. Toyo has base tilt that same as Kodak, will go all the way to the bed. Canham is bit restricted in base tilt forward. in a real life i think this is not s important and between limited base tilt and unlimited axial, Canham has plenty to offer. Canham and Kodak have more rise then Toyo, that already has plenty. Kodak has precise rise fall geared fin adjustmant that helps a lot if you already locked your axsial tilt

Guys can you please wait with comment till i am finished posting everything. it takes me a bit of time sorry for that! am having a lot of trouble with photobucket. thanks

FRONT SWING and SHIFT

Toyo with this 810MII modification has radically improved front capability. Kodak ad Toyo ahve a lot of swing to offer and for some of us who like to shoot abstract things this can be usefully. Canham is more restricted. On the other hand Kodak has one lock for shift swing and front focus and for me this is a main problem with KMV. .

BACK MOVEMENTS

All 3 cameras have restricted back movement. Toyo has limited back tilt compared to the Canham and Kodak. Canham has no back Swing and for me this is a big bummer. Toyos back swing is fantastically minimal and hard to call a movement.

WIDE ANGLE POSITION

Canham and Kodak can push rear standard forward allowing you virtually any wide lens to be used. Toyo unfortunately is limited in that department and there was a lot written about that. If this is imortant to you then Canham is way to go. Sorry i forgot to take a photo of Canham in this mode