A few years ago I converted my Epson 3880 printer to MIS Eboni inks and Quadtone RIP and have run it with minimal problems. However, after an extended period of inactivity, some of the channels became clogged.

While cleaning it according to this excellent video I damaged the damper mechanism.

There is an authorized Epson repair facility within a few hours of my home, but I wonder if I should repair it, replace it with another of the same model, or look for an improvement.

My main complaint with the 3880 is the feed mechanism, which uses rollers. They get dirty and leave smudge marks on high-key prints. When loading large sheets, the 3880 requires manual pressure or it misjudges the size of the paper, printing only part of the image. This causes waste of paper and ink.

Given that the cost of ink is very low and therefore not part of the equation, are there other good reasons for getting a different model ? It has to be supported by Quadtone RIP as described here and make prints up to 16x20 inches.

Thanks in advance for your help !