Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

Re: Feasability of selling Impossible Project 8x10 prints on the street?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I suspect success with such an endeavor would depend more on salesmanship than equipment or photographic ability. Even so, being able to produce sharp and well exposed portraits on the first try are important. An Afghan-style camera can be fast to operate with a string or rod determining the correct plane of focus. If the camera is free to move a few inches longitudinally. the rod can move the camera to tweak the focus. Then the photographer can step out of the picture, direct the sitter's eyes as desired, and trip the shutter with a remote release. Such equipment need not and probably should not look new out of the box. The economics of the project may be more problematic than the technique.
    In terms of economics, I'm not too worried about making back my money too soon, since I'd really like to have an 8x10 anyway to complement my Hasselblad 500. However, I'll definitely try and be as economical as possible in acquiring the camera, lens and processing equipment.

Fancy camera, expensive 8x10 impossible will not yield break even. And you will worry about it all.

Dirt cheap, old clothes, hat, Afghan DIY setup, play fool and have a good time.

It's a game.
    Tin Can

Done it with 3x4 Fuji instant film.

It's fun. I am doing it again in a couple of weeks at a music/arts festival. Profit is high with the small prints (I charge $10 per, and I have a nice little paper frame to go with it).

I would imagine 8x10-sized instant film would be tough. Doesn't that large IP film take longer to process? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was barely "instant," more like 30+ minutes? Could be wrong.

My friend and I haven't done it, but are looking at ways to do wet plate (8x10) in this fashion. More unique/interesting, and not much (if at all) more expensive than 8x10 IP. We've done tons of plates in an afternoon at a workshop. Only problem is the insufferable heat down here - messes with the chemicals (it got up to 90 degrees in the darkroom tent last time).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Done it with 3x4 Fuji instant film.

It's fun. I am doing it again in a couple of weeks at a music/arts festival.

I would imagine 8x10-sized instant film would be tough. Doesn't that large IP film take longer to process? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was barely "instant," more like 30+ minutes? Could be wrong.

My friend and I haven't done it, but are looking at ways to do wet plate (8x10) in this fashion. More unique/interesting, and not much (if at all) more expensive than 8x10 IP. We've done tons of plates in an afternoon at a workshop.
    8x10 instant film is pretty unique! Wet plate is obviously amazing as well. Actually the dev time is around 4 minutes, which is quite feasible. Glad to see one person has made it work, albeit with a less complex setup.

Hmm, don't remember where I read that, well never mind. Anyway, if it were me, I'd focus the camera on a fixed point, and then setup a rangefinder set to that distance on top of the camera and a sports viewfinder of some sort, and move the camera back and forth to "focus" to that point. If that makes sense.

I've definitely made a few bad exposures and you just roll with it and shoot another. But for you that'll be expensive!

The best part for me is I've had a few instances where people loved the product and later found me and hired me for more work. Did a band album cover like that. All Fuji instant shots (scanned).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

that new direct positive film - asa supposedly of 120 - is coming out...maybe use that instead and build a developing 'tent'..well..large changing bag thing you could use on site..or a paper processor if you can find one about

how much do those character sketch people charge anyway?? like 40 bucks right??... with a cool background and portable set up..one should be able to do okay I would think

years ago..I had this idea that the local chamber of commerce or art commission would sponsor me (hahahahahaah = oh man..that sounds so funny now) - sponsor me by providing film, insurance maybe and some downtown storefront that happened to be empty . and I would grab people off the street as they passed..photograph them and slap their 8x10 polaroid right up on the wall - then and there... it would be a photo gallery that would open w/o one single image.. and by closing..the walls would be filled....ah...to dream

Quote Originally Posted by DrTang View Post
    that new direct positive film - asa supposedly of 120 - is coming out...maybe use that instead and build a developing 'tent'..well..large changing bag thing you could use on site..or a paper processor if you can find one about

how much do those character sketch people charge anyway?? like 40 bucks right??... with a cool background and portable set up..one should be able to do okay I would think

years ago..I had this idea that the local chamber of commerce or art commission would sponsor me (hahahahahaah = oh man..that sounds so funny now) - sponsor me by providing film, insurance maybe and some downtown storefront that happened to be empty . and I would grab people off the street as they passed..photograph them and slap their 8x10 polaroid right up on the wall - then and there... it would be a photo gallery that would open w/o one single image.. and by closing..the walls would be filled....ah...to dream
    What's the name of the new film? Sounds intriguing

I used to do it with Type 52, and later Type 72, as a fundraiser for my son's school at their Craft Fair. Got 8x10 cut mats with hinged backing board, and had an assistant coat and then linen-tape the prints in the mat. Clear plastic bag, and voila!

It was really fun, and great practice. I'd do 75 a day, at $10 apiece. I donated the materiais, being a good sport.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scans015.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	137629

Sometimes it was so much fun I'd make a negative.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Quote Originally Posted by brightmatter View Post
    Galaxy I think..paper

it's at the bottom of the forum in the kickstarter section

Quote Originally Posted by brightmatter View Post
    As mentioned, it's not a film, it's a paper. And it's not really a direct positive paper, either, though it's being promoted as such. It requires reversal processing, which is not likely to be something you're going to want to do on the fly. And based on what they've shown so far, results are likely to show the same excess contrast and problems with highlight and/or shadow detail that are typical of paper used in camera.

If you want to learn more, there's a link to the Kickstarter campaign in the discussion thread here.