Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Durst 3S

Re: Durst 3S

You should be able to use modern 135 or 150mm lenses for 4x5" enlargements. In that case use the 240/160 condenser combination. If you have those lenses and condensers I'd try it before buying a 180mm.

I'd try the 150 even w the 240/240 combo if U don't other condensers. Should work fine. No need for a 180 unless you're planning on doing 57. Do you have a carrier?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Look to see if there is a filter drawer on the right side of the head, after the bulb and before the mirror in the light path. I can't recall if my 3S had that or not. The 138 does. Failing that you can set lighting gels (Rosco, Lee, etc.) on top of the upper condenser. You'll need to test to see just which gel gives what grade with your chosen paper and chemistry. But once you've nailed it down, it's simple.
    I had a closer look just now and it turns out that what I originally thought was just a handle on the head (for tilting) is actually a filter drawer. It is a vertical drawer on the right side of the head with a black handle. Looking at the drawer, it looks like it would take quite large filters sitting vertically. I may just yet use smaller Ilford ones sitting on top of the circular red filter holder which is currently missing a red filter anyway instead of buying new larger ones to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I'd try the 150 even w the 240/240 combo if U don't other condensers. Should work fine. No need for a 180 unless you're planning on doing 57. Do you have a carrier?
    Yep, it looks to be complete as far as I can tell. It has a carrier (with handle on left & right) plus several masks/holders of different sizes. The condensers are also in nice condition. Once I get the power cord made safe I'll test it out properly.

Thanks to all for the info and advice.

Now you have an excuse to get a 5x7 camera.... You know you want one.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org