Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Open Source Field Camera Design

Re: DIY Open Source Field Camera Design

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Ian, the wood parts are interesting, as I'm relatively sure here in Bangkok I could identify a supplier for kits like that, and I'm sure that could also be done in many other places. You mention and link a 7 page PDF in the APUG post, but the link is dead. Can you post the PDF here?
    Not sure what happened the file had disappeared on the server. I've uploaded it again it's here, the quality isn't high but you get the idea.

I've a friend who has a wood yard, he supplies my wood and also a friend who makes banjo's, he's got computerised machinery that could make camera kits quite efficiently and his father is an engineer and was a keen photographer, it's something we've talked about.

I think the Lonsdale catalogue is interesting as it shows what could be possible.

Ian

Thanks Ian. I'll have a look.

Can your friend's machine do metal as well? I really know nothing about these modern computerised milling machines, but with my limited understanding it seems like to me that they would be perfect for cutting out some of these flat parts, but I'm not sure how economical that would be.

You should ask your friend about milling film holder mouldings. If those were available by the foot, all those people looking for odd-size or ultra large holders could make their own.

Wow! It makes a man want to go back in time. The Paget looks exactly like an Ikeda Anba.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Thanks Ian. I'll have a look.

Can your friend's machine do metal as well? I really know nothing about these modern computerised milling machines, but with my limited understanding it seems like to me that they would be perfect for cutting out some of these flat parts, but I'm not sure how economical that would be.

You should ask your friend about milling film holder mouldings. If those were available by the foot, all those people looking for odd-size or ultra large holders could make their own.
    My friend only works with wood, he mainly works with architects and interior designers but sources his own wood. His father works with metal though, however I don't think he has the time or inclination. Two of my neighbours make scale working locomotives and both are engineers by trade, one works on prototype rocket engines. Next time I see them I'll ask about making brass parts.

A couple of years ago I asked a local engineering shop about making brass thumb nuts and they charge by the hour plus material costs, expensive for a few but economic for quantities.

McMaster Carr in the US are a potential source of parts but they don't ship abroad, there's a demand for brass fittings and no supplier outside the US. It's something that needs some thought.

Ian

This might sound a bit silly, but what about utilising 3D printing for some of the componentry?

I have a friend who has had some extraordinary pieces of equipment manufactured to repair machinery, very impressive.

If this mob in Melbourne can manufacture a working jet engine, admittedly using something a bit bigger than what I'm envisaging, then maybe some of the requirements could be obtained via this route?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci...26-13pfv1.html

Mick.

Tim,
    A couple of other thoughts about design:

First, I could even get by just fine w/o a rack and pinion. The front rise/fall on the King is friction-focusing. I could easily use friction-focusing for focal length/hyperfocal length-focusing as well. The key is smooth focusing and the ability to lock down tightly and accurately. Eliminating rack and pinion could significantly simplify design and tooling requirements. Note even some higher-end cameras like Arca-Swiss use friction-focusing.

Second, I often use 5x8 and 4x10 splitters with my 8x10 King. Centering the lens is not a problem with normal and long lenses, but with short lenses, my bellows is not flexible enough to allow centering. What would really help would be having a bellows like the Ebony universal bellows (http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html) that combines elements of a standard bellows with a more flexible, bag-like bellows near the front.

Third, I've thought about building a variation of the King with a rear, U-shaped, extension (like the Deardorff: http://deardorffcameras.com/deardorf...012/01/07a.pdf) to increase the maximum bellows extension from 24 to 30". The current rear brackets on the King allow for an extra 1-2" of extension, but a U-frame would allow much more. Of course, that means redesigning how to slide the back of the camera to the front for wide-angle lenses. Could be done similar to the Deardorff, I suppose, as long as doing so does not add too much weight for additional hardware.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    This might sound a bit silly, but what about utilising 3D printing for some of the componentry?

I have a friend who has had some extraordinary pieces of equipment manufactured to repair machinery, very impressive.

If this mob in Melbourne can manufacture a working jet engine, admittedly using something a bit bigger than what I'm envisaging, then maybe some of the requirements could be obtained via this route?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/sci...26-13pfv1.html

Mick.
    Mick, this looks great! A few camera brackets would seem to be easy compared to an entire engine of parts. I just wonder how long it will take for this tech to spread and prices to come down?

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Fagan View Post
    This might sound a bit silly, but what about utilising 3D printing for some of the componentry?[/url]
    Indeed, why not? Another possibility is to use Emachineshop's free CAD and make dozens of copies at once. Most of our parts are very easy to make. I have use Emachineshop and found it excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Indeed, why not? Another possibility is to use Emachineshop's free CAD and make dozens of copies at once. Most of our parts are very easy to make. I have use Emachineshop and found it excellent.
    I looked at emachineshop's website and it does seem very attractive! What sort of parts have they made for you and how was the pricing?

Quote Originally Posted by brandon allen View Post
    I looked at emachineshop's website and it does seem very attractive! What sort of parts have they made for you and how was the pricing?
    I used emachineshop when it was just starting-up, and even then it was outstanding. All I made were flat parts - custom louvers for a sports car. The price for one was something like $50, but I had two dozen made for $110, total. With machining, set-up is usually the most expensive part. When making a drawing it will sometimes pop up with recommendations to make the job easier. It is great at materials, optimization, and expense suggestions, too. You can download the software and use it at no expense. It only costs when you finalize an order.

The concept of the business was to have parts made whenever a strictly qualified shop has idle time.

EDIT: Well, I just saw this in their gallery. It reminds me of the lead screw some of us need for our Century studio stands - the part made by Peter J. De Smidt!
    Link here.