Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Rectilinear Lens with only One Element. Any Use?

Wherever My Laptop Is (Usually Australia)

Old Rectilinear Lens with only One Element. Any Use?

Hi All - Newbie Alert.

Got this lens in a box of old bits and pieces. Bought it for next to nothing because I saw a Dallmeyer lens in there that is stuck in some sort of flange - anyway that's another story..

It says:

Wide Angle Rectilinear 6 1/2 x 4 3/4
    Made in France for Baker Rouse Limited

This lens seems to only have one element. In my very limited understanding of lenses a rectilinear should have 2 elements, no?

So can this lens be used in any way / have any uses whatsoever?

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-83.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	135755

Name:	Untitled-86.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	135756

Name:	Untitled-87.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	135757

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Old Rectilinear Lens with only One Element. Any Use?

These could be used as convertibles with one element removed and the aperture closed down, but the results were usually so-so. You could also try it wide open as a single-element soft focus achromat, but again, the results I've seen have been a bit underwhelming. But you have the lens, so it's worth a try, if only for the experience and peace of mind!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    These could be used as convertibles with one element removed and the aperture closed down, but the results were usually so-so. You could also try it wide open as a single-element soft focus achromat, but again, the results I've seen have been a bit underwhelming. But you have the lens, so it's worth a try, if only for the experience and peace of mind!
    I just projected an image on a piece of paper of a lamp sitting in my office and it seems to be very clear at about 35cm distance - not sure if that translates to a useable quality image in an actual camera.

But as you suggested I think I will just make up a lens board and give it a try. Thanks.

About ten years ago I built my first 8x10. Not having an 8x10 lens, I took the B&L Rapid Rectilinear lens (~170mm) from a Kodak folder and removed one element (~290mm). It covered 8x10 and then some. I'm still impressed how well that worked.

Quote Originally Posted by secondhandrobot View Post
    I just projected an image on a piece of paper of a lamp sitting in my office and it seems to be very clear at about 35cm distance - not sure if that translates to a useable quality image in an actual camera.

But as you suggested I think I will just make up a lens board and give it a try. Thanks.
    As I recall your bellows may not go to 350mm... But don't get rid of the lens just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    As I recall your bellows may not go to 350mm... But don't get rid of the lens just yet.
    By sheer chance I picked up a Plaubel Supra II (I think) at local auction the other day for $50, a week after I purchased my Toyo 45A (my first LF camera). Strange as I have been going to local auctions for years and don't recall a large format camera coming up for a long long time. What are the chances..?

I just measured the Plaubel at full extension. Looks like the bellows will extend to about 500mm and it didn't come with a lens

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

If the barrel is close to a standard filter size in front, you could buy a cheap set of close-up "filters", and have something close to a Verito with a shorter focal length. Adding a #1 would diopter would give you about a 222mm, a #2 would give you about a 182mm, and a #3 would give about a 154mm.

Lots of possibilities!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by secondhandrobot View Post
    By sheer chance I picked up a Plaubel Supra II (I think) at local auction the other day for $50, a week after I purchased my Toyo 45A (my first LF camera). Strange as I have been going to local auctions for years and don't recall a large format camera coming up for a long long time. What are the chances..?

I just measured the Plaubel at full extension. Looks like the bellows will extend to about 500mm and it didn't come with a lens
    I owned the Toyo45a, it's extension should be 325 not 210 just FYI.

That said, nice find! Check the bellows for light leaks!

I miss my Toyo, kind of wish I never sold it, ah well, busy with 8x10 now

Just made up a cardboard lens board to have a test with.

I had to extend the bellows a lot to get focus, and then seemed to focus over a very broad range (if that makes sense).

But the image seems useable. Need to test it in better light tomorrow though.

Name:	DSC_0182.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	135776

Name:	DSC_0176.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	135777

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    If the barrel is close to a standard filter size in front, you could buy a cheap set of close-up "filters", and have something close to a Verito with a shorter focal length. Adding a #1 would diopter would give you about a 222mm, a #2 would give you about a 182mm, and a #3 would give about a 154mm.

Lots of possibilities!

Thanks for that tip, will have a look around and see if I can find a close-up filter that fits.