Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Specs for Sinar Pan Tilt Head

Re: Specs for Sinar Pan Tilt Head

See a lot of Dodo birds, the big ones that can't fly?

The top & bottom plates are roughtly just under 3" say 2 15/16" diameter. Height with the plates parallel, 2 7/8". Photos attached. The third one shows the two bolts that keep the Sinar base plate from rotating. If you're going to use the head on a Sinar, you can't beat this head. If not get a Ries! Do you need anything else? L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	135236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	135237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	135238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	135239

Drew Wiley

Sorry, Alan, I don't think anyone would fall for the Dodo bird story. However, a couple of golden retrievers off in the distance have been pawned off as mountain
    lions, and I once got quite a bit of mileage out of a carnivorous deer story. Got tired pointing to dots of black angus cattle off on the horizon as black bears. But
    it does help to have those big spike feet on the Ries, which lends credibility to warnings how one must defend oneself from such critters in them thar woods. We
    also have true boa constrictors - no joke - but Calif Rosy boas rarely get more than a couple feet long, lethal enough to a gopher.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Sorry, Alan, I don't think anyone would fall for the Dodo bird story. However, a couple of golden retrievers off in the distance have been pawned off as mountain
    lions, and I once got quite a bit of mileage out of a carnivorous deer story. Got tired pointing to dots of black angus cattle off on the horizon as black bears. But
    it does help to have those big spike feet on the Ries, which lends credibility to warnings how one must defend oneself from such critters in them thar woods. We
    also have true boa constrictors - no joke - but Calif Rosy boas rarely get more than a couple feet long, lethal enough to a gopher.
    Actually, I was referring to the people who were asking you questions as Dodo's.

Well at least one Dodo answered Neil's question

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Well at least one Dodo answered Neil's question
    You're not a Dodo. You're more like a wise old owl.

Drew Wiley

Heck, I respect even Dodos if they're packing a Sinar. I was out two weeks ago along the Rift Zone Trail out on Pt Reyes. Spectacular day. But that trail shares the parking lot with the Bear Valley Trail. So there are about two hundred cars parked there, with nearly everyone and their cell phone cameras and DLSR's headed down the main trail. I went the opposite direction of course, and had almost complete solitude all day, despite the spectacular wildflowers everywhere. Didn't take any flower pictures, but did bag a couple other shots. When I got back to the truck and was offloading my pack, with the Ries strapped on back and the Norma rails projecting out the sides, a little Chinese man, probably an overseas tourist, sitting on the adjacent car bumper, asks, "Sinar?" He didn't speak a word of English, so I just smiled and nodded, and he gave me the thumbs up.

Luis, Thank you so much. Exactly what I was looking for. Can you give me an approximate weight? Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    The top & bottom plates are roughtly just under 3" say 2 15/16" diameter. Height with the plates parallel, 2 7/8". Photos attached. The third one shows the two bolts that keep the Sinar base plate from rotating. If you're going to use the head on a Sinar, you can't beat this head. If not get a Ries! Do you need anything else? L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.JPG 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	135236Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	135237Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.JPG 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	135238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	135239

1 lb 13 oz for the Sinar as opposed to 2.0 lbs for the Ries J-250 head, both with 3/8" screws.

Neil, a 4-40 Allen head screw is the right size for the slots on the Sinar clamp. I'd think a few brews for a local machinist would gain you two easily removed indexing pins in your Ries head. I did something similar on my Baco tilt head.