Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The spouse's influence on your LF work: significant, slight, or none?

The spouse's influence on your LF work: significant, slight, or none?

By chance today, I came across a few threads – old and new – where forum members have made plain a great, almost dominating influence on their LF work by their "significant other."

When I say "significant other," I mainly mean "spouse," and more specifically "wife," but the term might include any immediate or close family member or partner.

For example – and I'm paraphrasing:

"My wife liked this image so I thought I'd scan it and post it here."
    "On our vacation, my wife wouldn’t allow me to take my LF equipment."
    "I matted and framed this print because my wife chose it for the den above the couch."

If I understand the general demographics of the forum, this sort of influence by one's "significant other" has the potential to be, well, significant – and indeed, I suspect this to be the case for many LFers here, perhaps even the majority.

But I'm sure there are plenty others whose significant other has no influence at all on their work (no matter how important this person is in the wider perspective of one's life or lifestyle).

So I’m curious about your personal experience, especially if it offers a unique view into the nature of our LF work:

• If your significant other had been someone else, please describe how your LF work would be different (if at all) in quantity or quality?
    • If you suddenly "lost" your significant other, how might the nature of your LF work change – or do you think there would be no change?
    • And finally, any tips or lessons for the rest of us about how your relationship has helped or hindered your work?

Comments by LFers without a "significant other" are also welcome!

Re: The wife's influence on your LF work: significant, slight, or none?

like this: I used to shoot a lot of models

then I got married
    and stopped shooting

then I got divorced and started up again

My wife thinks this is all just a waste of money.

Both my last wives have passed.

So have 5 lady friends, they were intimate friends.

No I didn't.

Now I suffer from artistic freedom...

And not a muse in sight.

Tin Can

As soon as the my triplet boys were old enough not to need a stay-at-home-parent (me), my wife divorced me. Partly due to the fact that even tho she fell in love with and married an artist, I did not mature into the 40 hour a week working stiff she desired. I only work halftime at the university (but with benefits, including health insurance!) for the last 24 years.

But I can now say the divorce was a positive influence. The boys are 18 and off to college this Fall, I have my own house with a darkroom under construction, and I will have time to devote myself to my art...especially since I am retiring at the end of August.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

My wife and mother-in-law both have a strong influence on my LF photography:

For some reason, the "Golden Hour" seems to fall right at meal time, or just when its time to stop sight-seeing and go home.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Laura Paterson, my wife is an excellent photographer and printer.. she has no problem telling me when my prints suck.... also she has been very complimentary of my printing at times.

I think her gentle influence has given me a more delicate way of looking at photographs, her series of children is very compelling and her wonderful spirit shines through this difficult subject matter as these are children she does not know. She is pushing me to teach her pt pd printing and tri colour as her work would really sing in these processes.

So over all I think she has a rather large impact on my work.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'm at Dr Tang's second phase for the most part and have no intentions of transitioning to phase 3.

My bride actually encourages me go go out and make photographs plus she doesn't complain about the store room filled with such bulky gear as a Houston Fearless aerial roll film processor, an Elwood 8x10 enlarger, a K-17 Fairchild 9x9 with both lens cones, an Omega D-II, and countless boxes of other photo paraphernalia.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
    My wife thinks this is all just a waste of money.
    +1
    She hates all my "Photography junk" "In her way".(She shoulda known since, when we met, I had a 14x17 process camera in my kitchen)
    She likes the prints, though.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org