Thread: Shimming Gowland Aerial

Shimming Gowland Aerial

I picked up a gowland 4x5 aerial that had been made to work with a Rodenstock Apo-Sironar-S 150mm f5.6. That lens has a FFD of 147mm. I thought I could go with the much more affordable Nikkor W 150mm f5.6 with a ffd of 146.8mm. I guess those 2 tenths of a mm really make a difference because it is nowhere near in focus. With the help of a forum member (who shall remain nameless to protect his reputation) we have been experimenting with temporary shims but I still am surprised that there should be that much of a difference unless there is something I am overlooking.

Anyone looking to get get of a Sironar S 150?

Re: Shimming Gowland Aerial

This is interesting. The spec for the late-model 150mm Nikkor W in S-type Copal 0 is indeed 146.8mm:

http://www.nikon-image.com/products/...s/w_150mmf56s/

However, I have an early Nikkor LF lens catalog listing the older, non-S version of the 150 W, and that one specifies a FFD of 149.2mm. Is your Nikkor the older type?

PS, putting on moderator's hat: please post any WTB in the FS/WTB section!

PPS, taking off moderator's hat again: I wonder whether this difference has fouled up any Wista 45RF owners, since the rangefinder in that camera is specified as having been set up for Nikkor W lenses. I've never heard anyone mention a need to adjust the infinity stops depending on the vintage of Nikkor W lens that is used.

Peter Gowland's website is still up. Check it out----you might be able to contact the fellow who ran the workshop for Peter. He'd know where and what sort of part you might require.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

That must be it, I have the non S version. Back to the ebay. Thanks for clearing that up!

Rob