Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger

Re: Moving a Saltzman 8x10 enlarger

Quote Originally Posted by pierre506 View Post
    Dear Stone, 8x10 darkroom is a huge system.
    Space demanding, time consumption, money exhausted...
    I need a tutor near me.
    Fair enough, I can relate for sure, but mostly it was winter and temperature that stopped me, now that it's warmer I'm on a roll, hopefully done at the end of the month

Hope you can get it together, and if not, bring it back to the U.S. So I can have two of them!

Now THIS is a big Saltzman enlarger, a bi-post model. (Courtesy http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com)

This one was almost not disassembled but without the table.
    Sometimes love just ain't enough.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/pierre506/sets/

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Now THIS is a big Saltzman enlarger, a bi-post model. (Courtesy http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com)
    Wow! I don't remember seeing that one before, is it a later model? The head also comes out way further! Insane!

When disassembling raise the carriage up high to get the counterweights in a low position. Then take a couple pairs of vice grips and clamp the chains up by the pulleys at the top. That will allow you to then remove the carriage assy, just the arms, (leave the part that goes around the tube), and chain sprocket from underneath. If you loose the sprocket without the vice grips you can continue after you get back from the emergency room. Use an engine hoist or something other that "we can do it by hand". Trust the word of someone who did do it the hard way. When the tube on it's side then you can take out the counterweights. If you don't want to take them out, YOU take the bottom with the extra 100lbs + extra weight. The wall of the tube is about 1/4 in thick and heavy enough without the extra weight. As a retired cat mechanic I can tell you snapon tools don't sell new backs. It isn't a difficult or complicated job, just big and bulky. I recommend leveling the table before installing the tube.

That's really great advice, thank you John.

Quote Originally Posted by John Berry View Post
    ....you can continue after you get back from the emergency room. As a retired cat mechanic I can tell you snapon tools don't sell new backs. It isn't a difficult or complicated job, just big and bulky.
    Kind of why I stuck with "baby" 8x10 enlargers like Durst & De Vere. Never felt I had the guts to handle a Saltzman! Pls post some photos!