Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Re: Picking up a De Vere 5108

The 1840 looks more like an industrial milling machine than an enlarger, LOL. Here I am with one at ICP in New York. I'm 6' 2". This one always seemed to be blowing up, I didn't use it much. I also found myself kneeling on the floor with it, which is tiring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431445243.983881.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	133706

Yup, that's one of the reasons I didn't opt for an 8x10 color head to replace the 5x7 on my Durst SM-183. I figured by the time I installed it, it would be too tall for my darkroom. I have a 94" or so ceiling height; the Durst column had 1.5" clearance, the DeVere column is 4" or so shorter. Height with the head all the way up on the DeVere is 96", so I only loose a few inches in rise. Also, a much simpler design which uses the same ELH bulbs that my Durst uses, so I have a supply of them already. No fancy electronics or lens shutter, all is manual. Without motorized focusing on the Durst, it's difficult with the head raised. The DeVere is much easier to focus. Haven't put an 8x10 negative on it yet, I don't have my Rodagon 240 mounted on a DeVere board, so I have to wait until my adapter comes in. I'm modifying a DeVere flat panel to accept Durst Lapla boards. I should then be able to use all of my lenses which are already mounted on the Laplas, except for my 80 Apo-R for which I have a recessed DV board. I use it to print 135 since I don't make large prints, but also have a 50 Apo-R if needed.

Ic-R I think the work you did restoring your L1840 is amazing, I just don't have the electrical capabilities, so I opted for the "simpler" design. L

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Here I am with one at ICP in New York. I'm 6' 2". This one always seemed to be blowing up, I didn't use it much. I also found myself kneeling on the floor with it, which is tiring.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431445243.983881.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	133706
    So Larry, is that a "photo hat" or is the lighting that bright in the ICP darkroom?

LOL. I sent this photo to a friend of mine, an old photog, and he replied: "No hats in the darkroom", so that was the end of that. Still, it would probably make a good dodging tool since you can bend it into shapes. It's not light tight, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I noticed that in the pictures. Also, seeing that you can fit a chair under the baseboard. I have my baseboard quite low and use a gardener's kneeling pad when printing. This and then also the exact same 3-step ladder to fiddle with the head.
    Remember IC that I don't print large. I can only handle 11x14 trays in my sink without getting "creative". I also own almost every Rodagon lens made, so it gives me a lot of flexibility for head position and print size. 8x10: 300 mm Apo, 240 Rodagon; 5x7: 210, 180, 180 Apo; 4x5: 180 Apo, 150, 135 Rodagons, Medium Format, 135, 105 Rodagons, 80 Apo; 135: 80 Apo, 50 Apo. Makes a big difference and lets me print sitting down!

I've come to believe that 11x14 is the perfect size for a print, in terms of cost and ease of handling. I went through a period of printing 16x20 but that's a bit too large for my needs. I can easily scan 11x14 prints which is a benefit in terms of using them in a book.

Hi All, I have purchased a 5108 that was on ebay, it currently lives in the Detroit area and I live in South Florida. I have an f-250 pickup with a 6.5ft bed, 8ft with the tailgate down. I also have a 12ft enclosed trailer. I would prefer not to haul the trailer that far due to decreased fuel economy, etc, but will if necessary.

So my question is, would it be all right to leave assembled and lay down in the back of my truck trapped, or does it have to be assembled? The person I am being it from moved it a shorter distance when he purchased it but, he is recommending, shipping it assembled.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Now that I have moved a few 10X10 enlargers.

Take tools.

Take it apart.

Move the head all the way up. Lock the wheels. Take the head off of the enlarger. Place this someplace safe. Do the same thing with lenses.... Consider removing the baseboard. Now you can lay the whole enlarger down on it's back.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

nope, take that beast apart and pack/cushion everything well, esp the head. make sure you have strong straps/rope to secure the neg and head stages to the lower section when you remove the head, otherwise it can shoot up the column if things are not locked down tight. the force would be enough to clock you badly if your head was in the path, hence the straps.

I think I took mine apart as the base (and lower column) and the top column, the baseboard and the head. could have been more involved but everything fit in the back of a Safari extended van.

If left whole, you'd probably need a couple of strong bucks to move the enlarger.

good luck and khbphotografix.com is good source for parts/ manuals etc..
    Last edited by Fred L; 19-Apr-2018 at 15:39.
    notch codes ? I only use one film...