Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Woot! I just found N2 Burst development tanks and bought them!

Woot! I just found N2 Burst development tanks and bought them!

Sorry! I am stoked! I found the elusive nitrogen burst development tanks and they are in the mail!

They look like Calumet, by Leedal, made by http://www.rosyproducts.com/intro.htm

Now a tank, regulator, some hose and...

Question

Is N2 absolutely necessary for B&W film or is regular clean compressed air OK?

I already have a oil less compressor under my main sink...

Here they are in the 1977 Calumet catalog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-28-0001.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	199.2 KB 
ID:	133088Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-04-28-0002.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	108.6 KB 
ID:	133089
    Last edited by Tin Can; 28-Apr-2015 at 11:14. Reason: add price list
    Tin Can

Re: Woot! I just found N2 Burst development tanks and bought them!

I'm happy for you, Randy. I had the opportunity to buy a complete set-up but passed because I knew I would not process enough film to justify its maintenance.

Regarding N vs air - N because as you know it will not react with the chemistry and air will accelerate oxidation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I'm happy for you, Randy. I had the opportunity to buy a complete set-up but passed because I knew I would not process enough film to justify its maintenance.

Regarding N vs air - N because as you know it will not react with the chemistry and air will accelerate oxidation.
    We always called our nitrogen tanks at work, we had dozens of large 2500 psi tanks, N2, but I guess I want N as in pure N?

However if I am using one shot developer in these 1 gallon tanks, oxidation is not an issue?

How about N burst with fixer vs 'air'?
    Tin Can

Tin Can

Yeah N2 is Nitrogen. Two atoms for a molecule.
    Interesting though. Nitrogen is inert and I guess as someone mentioned does not influence oxidation.

Yes, Nitrogen only.
    When I first started at the college we had a system available to the students. We filled the tanks with D-23 at the beginning of each semester and kept a supply of D-25 available as replenisher along with a chart to insure adequate replenishment. It worked beautifully. The added advantage for me was the ability to take the used D-23 home at the end of each semester. I used it when total development was necessary to get the contrast of negatives made on very cloudy days up to my needs. It is the only way to get adequate contrast in a negative of the dunes in Death Valley made on a typically heavily overcast day in January. 8 hours in the silver rich developer produced stunning negatives due to the replating phenomenon.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    N is a lonely atom. And monogamous.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Sorry! I am stoked! I found the elusive nitrogen burst development tanks and they are in the mail!

They look like Calumet, by Leedal, made by http://www.rosyproducts.com/intro.htm

Now a tank, regulator, some hose and...

Question

Is N2 absolutely necessary for B&W film or is regular clean compressed air OK?
    Were it not necessary why would anyone even bother to use it with nitrogen??? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Yes, Nitrogen only.
    When I first started at the college we had a system available to the students. We filled the tanks with D-23 at the beginning of each semester and kept a supply of D-25 available as replenisher along with a chart to insure adequate replenishment. It worked beautifully. The added advantage for me was the ability to take the used D-23 home at the end of each semester. I used it when total development was necessary to get the contrast of negatives made on very cloudy days up to my needs. It is the only way to get adequate contrast in a negative of the dunes in Death Valley made on a typically heavily overcast day in January. 8 hours in the silver rich developer produced stunning negatives due to the replating phenomenon.
    Very interesting. I have never used replenishment. I will look into the technique and 'replating' phenomenon, and if I cannot find enough information, I'll be back with questions. (Research firs, ask questions later )

Quote Originally Posted by prendt View Post
    Were it not necessary why would anyone even bother to use it with nitrogen??? Just curious.
    I am only going on my Internet research. It is my understanding, that consistent and even agitation was the primary goal and effect of N2 Burst. Compressed air may be fine for one shot developer, stop, fix and wash as all the liquids are temporary.

However color chemistry is used over and over and compressed air will oxidize and degrade them quickly. Thus N2 has been the standard for photo labs and many other labs I have worked, which were not photo related.

Jim Noel adds below, his school's tanks and chemistry lasted a semester and of course oxidation would be a problem in that situation, so he used N2. Thanks for that input, Jim.

I plan to set my process up with compressed air FIRST to test all other parameters, THEN buy an N2 tank and use it. I need timers, solenoids, fittings, valves, hose. All simple for me as I used to build custom lab setups every day for decades, however none of it was photo related, but we used the same gear.

I have one 8x10 tank with a DIY N2 setup. that until now, I have used as a wash tank by flowing water through the lines to wash from below. Works great like that. Any of the tanks I just bought would also do that.

I see one astute reader here found the last 2 tanks and bought 1. Which leaves one more...

I don't plan on doing color, but who knows, sometimes I change my mind!

My local color lab, has shut down and claims they will reopen but when? It's been a year.

Update! They are open for C41. Great news! http://www.cswfilmsystems.com/
    Tin Can