Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
Thanks, I really like the early efforts to make very fast lenses for 35mm cameras in the 1940s and 1950s. This Nokton 50/1.5 I got on a Prominent exactly 2 years ago. I never shot the camera, I have way too many, and sold it and a couple less famous lenses. Then I started searching for an adapter to put it on Leicas. But I discovered that whereas most adapters cost $20, the Prominent adapters were around $230. After selling the camera, I had less than that much in the lens itself. The reason they are so expensive is they have to have the focusing helical. The Prominent camera does the focus, the lens just rides the mount. I'm a stubborn guy when it comes to prices, and decided to just watch and wait. 2 years later I got an excellent, CNC made Amedeo adapter for Leica M, for a good price. I'm enjoying this lens a lot. Stopped down it becomes very sharp. As sharp as a Sumicron easily.
I share your interest in fast lenses, but also like the designs coming out into the 1960's. My interest is for the speed, which I often need when shooting film, but I also have learned that I prefer the look of the earlier lenses. My main users are a mid 30's 5cm 1.5 Sonnar and a 1960's 35mm Summilux. If a more general thread pops up on classic era fast lenses I should have some contributions, but I mosty photograph people, and tend to avoid the prickly ones. I'm enjoying looking through the images here though.