Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Fresno

Stuck in Fresno

Not Lodi, like the song, but Fresno! This is due to a series of unfortunate events (a series of family illnesses being the #1) so that the only out of town travel I've been able to do was an overnight for my 105 year old Uncle's funeral in LA.
    We've been talking about a one day trip to Avila Beach for Mother's Day but it doesn't look like that's going to happen either.
    Since we're down to one car even a day trip to Yosemite to pick up my National Parks Geezer Pass isn't even on the horizon as I now serve as the family chauffeur and therefor have my standing orders.
    This has been going on since mid-winter, but this isn't the rant it sounds like.
    I'm sure many here have transited through Fresno on the way to one of three National Parks close by (but not close enough) and probably never wondered what there might be to photograph in Fresno.
    Well, I've been studying the situation out of necessity.
    Sadly most of the interesting historic architecture in the downtown was destroyed in the 1960's.
    The older Catholic churches were wreck-o-vated about the same time although St John's Cathedral survived pretty much intact until it's horrible "restoration" in the 1980s. For color work the French stained glass windows at the Shrine of St Therese (colored glass 1" thick) is a treat as is all the carved marble. St. Ann's at the Chancery has been well preserved though. There are still a some photogenic Orthodox churches (especially the one in the farming community of Yettem as well as the Greek Orthodox church near Radio Park) These are kept locked and a photographer will have to contact the office for access.
    For public buildings there is the Art Deco Hall of Records in Courthouse Park and the old Santa Fe Amtrak station nearby. The much prettier Southern Pacific Depot has been converted into a school of some sorts and now looks nothing like a train station, complete with a cement wall separating it from the tracks.
    There are a few old fashioned cemeteries with real vertical tombstones just off of Hwy 99 (take the Belmont exit and go West)
    Other notable structures include Kearney Mansion, the Meux home, the old water tower, the Coke Hallowell River Ranch and the Warnor's (originally Pantages) theater.
    For landscape photography you might enjoy the Shinzen Japanese Friendship garden at Woodward Park, right off Hwy 41 if you're Yosemite bound. You might also find some interesting shots along the river bottom, especially in the winter mornings when there is dense fog and no skeeters.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Stuck in Fresno

Look on the bright side.... You really could be stuck in Lodi.... or Modesto.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

FWIW the Shinzen Japanese Friendship Garden requires an advance purchase photo permit. There are some exceptions so contact the Gardens first
    http://www.shinzenjapanesegarden.org/photography.html
    Note the guy with the Speed Graphic on the web page!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

Isn't the big tourist draw in Fresno the Muffler Shop Hall of Fame? Or maybe the Orchard Removal Festival with all the bulldozers and asphalt layers every Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Isn't the big tourist draw in Fresno the Muffler Shop Hall of Fame? Or maybe the Orchard Removal Festival with all the bulldozers and asphalt layers every Spring?
    Now these sound worth photographing! How many pretty landscape pictures does the world really need?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

Fresno County has spectacular scenery. Thousand of lakes, canyons twice as deep as Grand Canyon, giant sequoia groves, multiple designated wilderness areas,
    close proximity to three national parks. The only problem is that to get to them from Fresno you have to go through a checkpoint at the edge of a town called
    Clovis. There is an armed guard posted on Copper Avenue. Nobody from Fresno is allowed past there unless you pass a DNA screening to prove your diet consists
    primarily of cottontail rabbit and cattle pond bass. John knows these things.

Wasn't it Ted Orland's "List of photographic truths" that said "It's impossible to make a good photograph in Fresno"?
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    Wasn't it Ted Orland's "List of photographic truths" that said "It's impossible to make a good photograph in Fresno"?
    I checked my poster and indeed Mr. Orland did say that. But, come on, it can't really be true can it? Is Fresno so much worse than anywhere else? (I've never been there) Besides I want to stick up for the ugly places in the world—I think they are eminently photogenic, just not in a pretty postcard manner. Significant photographs can be made anywhere.

PS. I know you guys have been joking, but maybe not completely...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Drew Wiley

The opportunities are actually pretty good right now. Millerton Lake, only fifteen minutes out of town, would be an excellent place to photograph mud cracks this
    year. Then look at how famous some of the photographers of the 1930's Dust Bowl became. John is in exactly the right area to photograph the next dust bowl.
    Or, perhaps wildlife is your genre. No need to drive to Yosemite and leave your picnic box out. The bears are heading down to Fresno to jump in the swimming pools. Once those dry up, who knows?

Nice list of places in Fresno City
    I have been to all most place on your list
    The fog is just about gone today do to no rain
    I live in Clovis

Dave