Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sinar P2 original price?

Sinar P2 original price?

Hi, I was wondering what the Sinar 8x10 P2 cost when new?
    Also, what the prices are now?
    I'm sure there are/is a link with this info already discussed?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Sinar P2 original price?

The 1990 Helix of Chicago catalog has prices for the 4X5 Sinar P2 as $5,499 and the 8X10 P2 as $7990. I see only two 8X10 P2s under eBay Sold listings. One sold for $2084 including shipping and the other for $3362 including shipping from Taiwan. Considering how cheap many monorail view cameras are these days, those are fairly high prices, although obviously much depreciated from the new selling prices. Presumably most people who bought a new 8X10 P2 were professional photographers who made lots of money with them so the loss in value could be justified. Or I guess that is how it is supposed to work. If those two used selling prices are an indication, the 8X10 P2 must still be a dream camera to some folks.

I don't know how many years the P2 was produced. If it was a long run there may be a range of new selling prices.

Len

The P2's still go for a lot of money. You can get a P for a whole lot less and there is not a lot of difference between them.

When buying used you do have to be careful about what you are buying. There is the true 8x10 camera and then there were a couple of 8x10 backs that worked with the 4x5 rear standard so you could shoot 8x10 with your 4x5 camera. The 4x5 standards are not as beefy and have less rise then the 8x10 standards.

By simply looking below to the footnote that lists similar threads this eye-opener appeared.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...e-for-Sinar-P2
    Tin Can

I prefer the P2 over the P 8x10 ... I have both ... I've seen the P2's anywhere from $1,800 to 2,400 in good shape when I was in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Amedeus View Post
    I prefer the P2 over the P 8x10 ... I have both ... I've seen the P2's anywhere from $1,800 to 2,400 in good shape when I was in the market.
    I'm curious. Why do you favor the P2 over the P?

I still have both in a perfect state. The P2 looks better all black and it is somewhat smoother in the adjustment controls. Those were my every day bread and butter cameras for twenty some years. Both were sent to Sinar Scaffhausen now and then for maintenance and adjustment. All lenses from 75 to 450 on DB boards and a Auto shutter for each camera + one as back up. Backs for 8x10, 5x7 & 4x5. The whole system in original roller cases. Digital has made all this obsolite and my bookkeeper has long sinch written them of. But,but ! I can not bring myself to sell those fine instruments for a fraction of their "value". After the year 2000 when professional photograpers began to take pixelography seriosly and dumped their view cameras on the marked , I assembled a fine collection of Sinar Normas as well, all formats, all tiny things like swing out filters, compendium , bellows and the old gray cases. Belive it or not; for less than two grand. So much much fo my SINAR fetish. My grandkids will have to use those as antique decorations in their living rooms.

Thanks Gudmundur!

I own a Sinar P 4x5. I prefer the silver finish myself. I guess because it looks old. I have never had the opportunity to handle a P2 though. I know some of the controls are a little different and the P2 is said to have a few more plastic parts. I had heard from one other person who also said the P2 was a little smoother. As expensive as they were new I don't think there are a whole lot of people who have had the opportunity to use both.

Hi Gudmundur, Have 3 Sinar F2's two I bought recently for parts. Since I never did studio work, never had a need for the P. Used the F2 for architectural work when I did that sort of thing. If you ever want to get rid of any Sinar stuff, you have my Email. Best, Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I'm curious. Why do you favor the P2 over the P?
    On the P 8x10 you have to flip a switch on front and rear for tilt and swing control. One knob to adjust, one switch to select the control. Not as intuitive (for me) as using the P2 8x10 where there's a know to adjust tilt and swing. No remembering which position from the switch controls what. I know this is minor and part of the workflow

My P2 came with a significantly larger 8x10 frame compared to my P (latter frame has even no bail and all was original in a "time capsule" case. Owner had used the camera once, accessories still packed, envelopes unopened.)

My P2 came with a graduated ground glass, P has a plain ground glass.

As others have stated: minor differences.

I also have a P 4x5 and that one works same as the P 8x10 regarding controls but the back has a bail.