Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How difficult is it to adjust TOP MOUNTED rangefinder on a Graflex?

How difficult is it to adjust TOP MOUNTED rangefinder on a Graflex?

Hi guys, wanting to try my hand on LF handheld but not with those fancy 3dprinted cone cameras. Was looking at graflex and lots of hard to follow instructions on Kalart side mounted rangefinders but the first sentence on that webpage said this is not for top mounted rangefinders. Are the top ones harder to adjust?
    --

Small town, South Carolina, US

Re: How difficult is it to adjust TOP MOUNTED rangefinder on a Graflex?

The top mounted rangefinders have a cam (changeable) which is cut for a specific lens - or at least a certain focal length lens which came with the camera. For a different focal length you would need a cam for that focal length.

The Graflex.org has some information on this.

Quote Originally Posted by rfesk View Post
    The top mounted rangefinders have a cam (changeable) which is cut for a specific lens - or at least a certain focal length lens which came with the camera. For a different focal length you would need a cam for that focal length.

The Graflex.org has some information on this.
    Thanks, I've been on graflex site but not much. Since I don't have one. But I have an opportunity to pick one up locally. He said "the finder is set for 8 feet, but the ground glass is sharp and in focus at 9 feet". So it sounds like it's the correct cam as the next cam would be wildly off you think? Maybe it just needs a slight calibration of 1 foot.

Just wondering how difficult it is to adjust to 1 foot?
    --

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Difficulty is difficult to really address as it depends a lot on the skills and incentive of the repair person.

I’d start at the beginning by verifying that the camera is complete and has correct configuration, especially the ground glass and Ektalite (if so equipped). Then verify infinity stops/focus. Then worry about calibration of rangefinder. Based on the limited information you have available, it might just be minor adjustments required.

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...TRFService.pdf

Handheld LF with a Graphic is a real experience!

Small town, South Carolina, US

Others may chime in with more information.

First of all the camera needs to be working properly with the lens matching the cam.

Make sure that the follower on the left side of the camera moves freely and follows the front standard as it moves forward when focusing. (I have one of these cameras and it does not move - and needs repairing.)

It the above is ok - make sure you have the correct lens mounted to match the cam.

If that is ok, then check that the infinity stop on the focus bed is set at infinity for the lens by confirming that with the ground glass.

Only then can you determine if the rangefinder is not working correctly.

EDIT: Brian was saying about the same thing as I was composing.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Difficulty is difficult to really address as it depends a lot on the skills and incentive of the repair person.

I’d start at the beginning by verifying that the camera is complete and has correct configuration, especially the ground glass and Ektalite (if so equipped). Then verify infinity stops/focus. Then worry about calibration of rangefinder. Based on the limited information you have available, it might just be minor adjustments required.

Very good advice! Thank you. I'm not bad with mechanics, and yes, you are right, if the parts aren't there and no amount of fiddling witl fix it. Can you explain, I think I kinda know what this phrase means but just explain to me like I am 5 years old "Verify infinity stop/focus". Does this mean, for a 135mm lens, set it at the 135mm spot on the camera floor board, check the ground glass and see if anything past (???? feet), is in focus? I think that's what that phrase means?
    --

Others may chime in with more information.

First of all the camera needs to be working properly with the lens matching the cam.

Make sure that the follower on the left side of the camera moves freely and follows the front standard as it moves forward when focusing. (I have one of these cameras and it does not move - and needs repairing.)

It the above is ok - make sure you have the correct lens mounted to match the cam.

If that is ok, then check that the infinity stop on the focus bed is set at infinity for the lens by confirming that with the ground glass.

Only then can you determine if the rangefinder is not working correctly.

EDIT: Brian was saying about the same thing as I was composing.
    Ahhhh, I was typing, and then did my "morning bitness after coffee" and didn't see this. So my earlier post before this was asking about infinity focus, and I think I guessed the answer and you clarified it well. Thanks. The seller has used the camera and film tested so I believe it to be all there and working. He stated the rangefinder is "close to accurate last time he used it" but I asked to verify by looking at the rangefinder and checking the GG and said it was on 8foot, but more like totally in focus at the 9 foot mark via the GG. I'm thinking at 70? year old camera it'll go off a little bit and just need some fiddling with the mirrors? I don't know but it could be a fun project for me. To add in a list of other many projects....
    --

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

Also, thanks for the PDF link!!
    --

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Basically, yes. Infinity on Graphics is set by extension of lens-board on the bed and if referenced by infinity stops. The infinity stops are adjustable. Infinity is an object long way away. The properly installed ground glass is used to set infinity.

Since you don’t seem to have the camera in your possession I’m guessing that you are hemming-and-hawing about buying it. Depending on what exactly it is, and its condition, and its price… the rangefinder adjustment is quite possibly a very minor issue. Why couldn’t/didn’t the current owner get it dialed in? Not necessarily a good metric of “can it be done” but when such detailed knowledge is given yet not previously resolved always makes me wonder. It might mean nothing at all, though.

Sorry, just looking at pics of the rail bed and just want to confirm. There are settings in front with foot markings, 6 - 8 - 10 all the way to infinity mark. So I turn the focus knob on the left, until the mark is at the infinity sign, then look at ground glass, and see if far things past 50 feet are in focus? The user did say he used it and shot film with it just a few months ago so everything should be working.
    --