Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vignetting so soon?

Vignetting so soon?

Hi,

With a 150mm Fuji lens (224mm IC), how much front rise should I be getting before there's any vignetting?

Thanks.
    Last edited by NoBob; 2-Apr-2015 at 11:42.

Re: Vignetting so soon?

The 224mm IC is for the Fujinon-W 150mm f/5.6 (the 150mm f/6.3 has 198mm IC.) Without resorting to math, you could just draw a 224mm diameter circle and move a 4x5 (assuming you are using it on a 4x5!) rectangle around in it until you lose a corner to answer your question.

This is the second time in as many days that I've mentioned how valuable it is to visit this site's home page and the links on it, one of which is

That chart includes the 150mm Fujinon CM-W, whose image circle (223mm) is within 1mm of the OP's question, and is probably the lens being asked about. Shown, along with other useful information, is maximum rise in both horizontal and vertical film orientations.

Thanks, am going to check again tomorrow, because I'm getting a lot less than the movement indicated in the table.

Filter? Lens hood? Hole centered on board?

I have two of these lenses, one is in a Razzle, which is a converted Polaroid, the other runs between various cameras. On my Calumet 400, with straight bellows it does have vignetting if I pull the bellows out for closeish stuff. On my Shen Hao I sort of run out of movement, but it has tapered bellows, on My Toyo G45 monorail with straight bellows at infinity about 43mm maybe a smidge more on the vertical rise is about where I start to see some bellows shadowing, but I think there is a very slight bellows sag there.

I have just picked up the Toyo, so I was interested to see where coverage started and ended with the huge movements this camera is capable of. That's how I know.

All coverage I've mentioned is at f22.

Mick.

I'm getting 35mm front rise with the Fuji 150mm f5.6 (checked the corners through the lens and on the ground glass) on a Technikardan 45.

I would have guessed just from visualizing it and using a 5x7 as an anchor that you would get about an inch and a quarter or about 32mm.

Quote Originally Posted by NoBob View Post
    I'm getting 35mm front rise with the Fuji 150mm f5.6 (checked the corners through the lens and on the ground glass) on a Technikardan 45.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Answers to Dan's questions? To which I'd add: aperture setting? Vertical or horizontal back orientation?

According to the home page link I included in post #3, you should be getting about 46mm or 41mm rise (horizontal and vertical back positions respectively) at the specified image circle, which is determined at f/22, so you're not too far off. Without answers to the above questions, it's entirely possible that one or more factors they address could reduce available rise by 10mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Obvious, but I'll mention it anyway -- any front tilt used? That changes things quickly!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China