Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: ULF Why do it?

Re: ULF Why do it?

ULF...

Would you believe the Flip Wilson defense, "the devil made me do it!" That's OK, I don't believe it either.

The story I like tell is the the 12 x 20 is my mid-life crisis. I couldn't afford a Porsche and no 20-year old would go out with me, so I decided to build a 12 x 20.

Reality: I had been printing negatives from my trips to White Sands. I rarely print bigger that 11x14 but some of the White Sands images demanded a larger presence. I didn't like the look of 16 x 20 and started cropping to about 12 x 20. Then the ULF camera madness started, why not shoot to size??? It has been 9-years, there is no hope left for me. I'll be back at White Sands soon with the beast (12 x 20).

Craig

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Colleen 10_12_09 024.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	131937

part of the stable:

Name:	Size 3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	131938

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Roberts View Post

Is there supposed to be an image of sand dunes? I don't see any sand. I can't move my eyes away from the center of the photo.

Craig's camera makes that Majestic tripod look small.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Well Craig I must say that is impressive! Now not to compete but I'm so lucky that I was able to build 4 ULF cameras and two of them are 14 x 17!

I was also able to get a Porsche Turbo and my girl and I act like 20 somethings! What is not to love!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails porsche side.jpeg   DSC_0491 resize.jpg  

ULF Why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Roberts View Post
    ULF...

Would you believe the Flip Wilson defense, "the devil made me do it!" That's OK, I don't believe it either.

The story I like tell is the the 12 x 20 is my mid-life crisis. I couldn't afford a Porsche and no 20-year old would go out with me, so I decided to build a 12 x 20.

Reality: I had been printing negatives from my trips to White Sands. I rarely print bigger that 11x14 but some of the White Sands images demanded a larger presence. I didn't like the look of 16 x 20 and started cropping to about 12 x 20. Then the ULF camera madness started, why not shoot to size??? It has been 9-years, there is no hope left for me. I'll be back at White Sands soon with the beast (12 x 20).

Craig

part of the stable:

Name:	Size 3.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	131938
    Good thing you typed "part of the stable" after the first pic

Also, did you build the subject matter in the first image or just the camera? Looks like a really nice design, small even, the framework I mean is really tight and so I would suspect easier to carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I was also able to get a Porsche Turbo
    But, does the 14x17 and all accouterments fit in it??
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    But, does the 14x17 and all accouterments fit in it??
    Believe it or not it does fit!

Here is an image of me with a hand-made 20X24, from 1998 or 1999. The print is a palladium over cyanotype by my friend Sam Wang. He calls this one "Sandy and His 20X24." The lens I was using at the time was a very early 19" Goerz Dagor, but my best negatives with this camera were with a 450 mm f/9 Nikkor-M, which stopped down to f/90 or f/128 covered nicely for contact printing.

You can see more of Sam's work, including other examples of hand-crafted work, as well as his signature round figure and landscape work, at http://www.samwang.us

Sandy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20X24.jpg  
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Ok, who can show bigger than 20X24...

Looking good Sandy!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Here is an image of me with a hand-made 20X24, from 1998 or 1999. The print is a palladium over cyanotype by my friend Sam Wang. He calls this one "Sandy and His 20X24." The lens I was using at the time was a very early 19" Goerz Dagor, but my best negatives with this camera were with a 450 mm f/9 Nikkor-M, which stopped down to f/90 or f/128 covered nicely for contact printing.

You can see more of Sam's work, including other examples of hand-crafted work, as well as his signature round figure and landscape work, at http://www.samwang.us

Sandy
    Wait you're saying the 450 M illuminates 20x24 at f/90??? That's insane! I knew it covered 14x17 but didn't realize it could reach 20x24.

By the way nice design! Looks great!

Too bad you don't still use it :/ (I don't think?)

Fun shot