Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable-folding 4x5

Portable-folding 4x5

Hello,

can you please suggest me some portable-folding 4x5 camera models?
    my budget is around 200-300 dollars.

Is the Graflex Speed Graphic a good candidate?

Thanks

Re: Portable-folding 4x5

For that much your best bet is a graflex/bosch pressman/B&J press

If you want to save some weight buy a Crown Graphic over the Speed Graphic. The Speed has a focal plane shutter which adds weight but can be used with old lenses that don't have leaf shutters.

A Super Graphic is a better option compared to Speed/Crown Graphics because it has a far better range of movements, I use them all so can speak from experience. You should be able to find one inside your budget.

Ian

For an economical view camera, consider a B&J flatbed. it is somewhat heavier and bulkier than some others, but has full movements and takes the 4" lens boards that were used on Anniversary model Speed Graphics and many other cameras. For use with longer lenses, it should come with the baseboard extension. The lenses that come with most press cameras do not permit the use of full front movements.

I have a Super Graphic and I think it is highly portable. It is mated with a Rodenstock Geronar 210mm, f6.8 and the lens fit inside the camera.

I am very curious; can you cary a modern folding camera (Toyo, Wisner, ShenHao, Chamonix, etc.) with a small lens inside the camera ? (like a Graflex)

On all the youtube clips I saw after the camera is opened you put the lensboard so you have to carry the camera and the lens separated.

Quote Originally Posted by stiganas View Post
    I am very curious; can you cary a modern folding camera (Toyo, Wisner, ShenHao, Chamonix, etc.) with a small lens inside the camera ? (like a Graflex)
    On many, you can carry a smaller lens (Toyo, horseman linhof), and in some, you can carry a larger front rim lens, when folded inside the camera. The graflex has by far the most room.

Does the Super Graphic have a drop bed and internal focus track, for wide wides? I was under the impression that it doesn't, and that's why I got a Crown.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Quote Originally Posted by stiganas View Post
    I have a Super Graphic and I think it is highly portable. It is mated with a Rodenstock Geronar 210mm, f6.8 and the lens fit inside the camera.

On all the youtube clips I saw after the camera is opened you put the lensboard so you have to carry the camera and the lens separated.
    My Wista 45DX is just as portable as my Super Graphic, the main difference is it's not really practical hand-held which was why I initially welt for a Crown Graphic and later a Super Graphic because I needed more movements than the Crown allowed (I often use front tilt hand held)

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Does the Super Graphic have a drop bed and internal focus track, for wide wides? I was under the impression that it doesn't, and that's why I got a Crown.
    Yes you're right (no inner rails) but I rarely use wider than 90mm which is fine with a Super Graphic and I find the greater range of movements far more important.

Ian

Crown and speed have the other advantage of a kalart rangefnder which can be tuned to nearly any lens within a range of focal lengths wothout needing to worry about finding the right cam.