Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Developing WP film

Re: Developing WP film

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    I checked on fleabay and couldn't find the 3005 price but if it's like some of the others, that might be out of my range for now.

Thanks for all the help. I made my film holders, I should be able to make some hangers and a couple of tanks.
    They range from $300-$500 or so each.

I pay $250-$350 for mine, I'm cheap and patient.

I have no idea what they cost new, but I'm guessing less....?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...I have no idea what they cost new, but I'm guessing less....?
    Years ago when I bought mine, 3005s were around $250 - $300. Today, $660:

Dave Karp

I came to mine later than Sal did. I paid $200 for a used 3005 and the same amount for a used 3010.

Late to this thread, but FWIW: I use 3004 and 3005 drums for WP. As Ian says, hangers for WP definitely exist, if that's the way one wants to go. They can be found here as well as in the UK - watch eBay.

Whole Plate is my favourite format. Here's how I develop mine in daylight. http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

Contrary to popular belief, the processors are still easily found and need not cost a fortune. It's a simple matter of putting a followed search on eBay and waiting a couple of weeks.

RR

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...My practice has been to process...8x10 exclusively in the 3004...the chambers are of sufficiently large diameter that even if sheets shift during rotation, there's virtually no possibility they'll overlap themselves. I had some scratching before adopting this protocol; none since.

One of my regrets is failing to purchase additional 3004 drums before they were discontinued. Not to mention before prices for all Expert drums leaped skyward!
    Persistence pays. I regularly perform searches using the quoted terms "Jobo 3004," hoping to find clean samples for sale. A couple of months ago, one result linked to a used equipment shop in Finland offering this drum. The page included a picture that appeared to show it was in pristine condition.

I emailed the shop, asking whether Google had directed me to an obsolete page or if it really had the 3004 available. The store manager promptly replied that, not only did they have the drum available, it was new old stock (NOS). And they had two! Needless to say, I jumped at this opportunity, especially since the price, even with EMS shipping, was $200 US less per drum than what new 3005s sell for now.

Within a week our letter carrier delivered the package. The two drums were indeed in brand new condition. They had been sitting on one or more shelves for a long time; their labels include the phrase "Made and printed in Federal Republic of Germany." In other words, these probably came out of the factory before German reunification!

Last week was my first opportunity to process film using the NOS drums. Everything functioned perfectly. I can develop 12 sheets of 8x10 in a day, leaving the drums and caps to thoroughly dry overnight, and do it all over again the next day. My Jobo equipment is now complete: (3) 3004s, (3) 3005s and (3) 3006s.

Dave Karp

Nice!

Chris, I have 2 plastic WP hangers. I may have bought them from Bob Mann or somebody gave them to me. Clean and similar to Bob's.

I forget a lot...

Anyway, they are yours if you want to pick them up. I can ship if necessary.

LMK

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    When I did whole plate I made plastic hangers to use in dip tanks.

Attachment 131531
    Tin Can

what are the hangers made out of? Acrylic? Looks like something I could make and maybe use for a variety of sizes of film by making enough sizes. Might make going to double sided xray for ULF make sense...if ULF or WP makes sense...

Not sure. But I saw plastic hangers for color film in a 70's Calumet Catalog. I'll look for that catalog tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    what are the hangers made out of? Acrylic? Looks like something I could make and maybe use for a variety of sizes of film by making enough sizes. Might make going to double sided xray for ULF make sense...if ULF or WP makes sense...
    Tin Can