Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

I am considering buying a used 8 x 10 field camera... Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks. Joe.
    Joseph Kayne
    Joseph Kayne Photography
    Fine Large Format Photography
    www.josephkaynephoto.com

New Orleans, LA

Re: Favorite 8x10 Field Camera and why?

Kodak Master 8x10 (popularly known as the KMV; Kodak Master View) The metal Deardorff. Clamshell design, enough movements for most field work, quick rough focusing via the front slide assembly (which is why I sold my Deardorff and got the KMV), fine focus from the rear, easily handles short lenses, fine adjustment for front rise/fall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KMV.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	131318

Mine with a 159mm Wollensak.

Hope this helps.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Another vote for the KMV. In addition to Thom's points, it's fairly light, very robust, and less wobbly than a lot of other field cameras. And it's a beautiful combination with Kodak's Commercial and Wide Field Ektar lenses.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Joe,

My two cents. I hope I am not being too presumptuous thinking my shooting style and subject matter can be similar to yours - landscape, intimate subject matter, etc. I currently use an Ebony RW8x10. It is simple and stable. My only regret is that I did not buy the triple draw extension version. I can use a 600 at infinity and just a bit closer. The back extension/focus would be very handy sometimes, but I make due. Plus the price was a bit beyond my reach. I recently purchased a Chamonix 5x8 and am trying to gauge how it compares in terms of ease of use. I have only used it for about a week, and there are some things I clearly like about it and some things that I need to explore further. It's stability surpasses anything I have used so far, although granted it is a 5x8, not an 8x10. But the camera has nice potential and those that have used the Chamonix line generally have very high praise for them. Prior to the Ebony, I used a two Canham 8x10s and a Tachihara. I obviously prefer the Ebony. If you ever make it up towards Madison, let me know and you can see if the Ebony or Chamonix is something you might consider. Jim

Thanks Jim....will do...
    Joseph Kayne
    Joseph Kayne Photography
    Fine Large Format Photography
    www.josephkaynephoto.com

Ritter 8x10 - very portable field camera

Deardorff V8.
    Yeah there are more modern cameras but the 'dorff is the one I prefer.
    I also like the Century Universal.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kayne View Post
    I am considering buying a used 8 x 10 field camera... Would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks. Joe.
    http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?105580-List-of-8x10-Field-Cameras
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Kayne View Post
    Thanks Jim....will do...
    Joe,

One thing I failed to mention and that is important to me is the fact I can pull the Ebony out of my pack and have set and squared in about 15 seconds. That was one of my reasons for switching to it.