Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Banding in scans / negatives?

Re: Banding in scans / negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Not yet - The first hurdle was removing the plugs - but you're right: it's a good idea to document it. I'll make photos as I go and put them on my web site when I'm done.
    Good to hear and yes, please do! I am thinking about buying a v700 that has a small scratch on the glass (about 1/3 size of a dime). May/may not affect scans for 4x5, 35mm, and 120 since it is ~25% on the bottom corner of the glass. That is what the seller told me. No negative holders to check for me, but he feels it might only affect images if I scan 8x10. May not be a problem, but if it is it would be nice to know if it is possible to remove the glass and replace with a new piece in the exact dimensions. Just to avoid PS out the scratch all the time. Then again he believes if anything it might only affect one image on a 35mm strip...which I am not worried about in that case.

Update: I didn't take any photos of the process because there's nothing to elaborate.

Once you unscrew the 4 screws, you can lift off the top. The glass is fastened to the top, so you can simply clean the glass and screw the top back on.

Thanks Ken. I will try mine this week. I just got my scanner in the other day and all seems well (other than it was really dirty and dusty!). I cannot find a scratch on my glass. But I think it still needs a cleaning.

I tried dry mounting (still not used to the thought of putting tape on my negative) and while I can see the edge of tape in the image I will keep trying as I adjust the height (I think I need to do that) on my film holders. After getting the height sorted I might adjust my taping methods to the very very very edge. I got about 1/8 and while I will eventually crop it out I am assuming I don't want to lose the edges of a photo do to cropping because of tape.