Thread: Mat Board Storage Solutions?

Mat Board Storage Solutions?

Does anyone have a good solution for storing mat boards of multiple sizes? The largest are 60 x 40 inch sheets. I am looking for a cart with wheels. I know that they exist but am unable to find a retail source for them. Ideas? Thanks. Don Kellogg

Re: Mat Board Storage Solutions?

In my cluttered house I might box them up and slide them under a bed.

This same issue came up in a post within the last year or two. Frankly, its import perplexes me. Just keep dust and water off of it. Lean it up against a wall between sheets of plywood or particle board. Geez.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    This same issue came up in a post within the last year or two. Frankly, its import perplexes me. Just keep dust and water off of it. Lean it up against a wall between sheets of plywood or particle board. Geez.
    Actually, this was not a stupid query. I have a lot of large (some 40 x 60) mat boards, foam core and some glass leaning against the wall in a garage. They fall down. They get beat up. Mice occasionally chew on them. I need a storage cart type affair with wheels. Okay?

It would be nice to have a solution to this problem off-the-shelf but I guess the real answer is to fabricate something. Depending on how much mat board you store it could be integrated as part of the same work table that the mat cutter sits on.

--Darin

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    It would be nice to have a solution to this problem off-the-shelf but I guess the real answer is to fabricate something. Depending on how much mat board you store it could be integrated as part of the same work table that the mat cutter sits on.

--Darin
    I bought a used flat file 10 years ago and put a melamine coated top on it. It holds mat board, glass, unassembled Nielsen frames, and other materials. The top is a work surface at a good stand-up working height or with a tall stool. It's not big enough for 40x60 sheets; you would have to cut to finished size. I don't think it's mouse-proof, but I haven't had that problem yet.
    Keith Pitman

Don- Sounds like you're looking for a lumber cart. Google lumber cart or panel cart. They're not cheap, but would probably work for you.

I worked at a place that use a couple of old hospital gurneys to move large flat objects from place-to-place.

A good source for things like that in the US is Global Industrial, http://www.globalindustrial.com/. I got my enlarger and work tables there. Lots of good stuff in stock.

A good place for storage supplies is Uline.com. Lots of cardboard boxes of every size. I use their boxes for storage of acrylic glazing, precut mats and full size mat boards. Sturdy enough to store upright without warping. But you need to keep fairly dry.

Nate Potter, Austin TX., Steuben ME.