I'm a bit concerned about traveling with all of my gear, and checking much of it, for a trip out west. Any suggestions aside from shipping it?

I was thinking about putting my lens, camera, and tripod head (a smallish ball head) in a carry-on, and packing my camera bag with all my clothes and film holders, bags, etc, and just checking that one bag (a converted video lighting kit box).

2 Questions…
1) I have the new 5 Series Gitzo, is it safe in a decent tripod bag (this one: http://www.manfrotto.com/tripod-bag-padded-100cm), again, without the head included? Or should I box it up?
2) What is the consensus on film these days? I hear so many conflicting perspectives. I'm inclined to order it online and have it delivered to my destination, thus saving me all the hassle of explaining to a 23 year old TSA employee what film is. And then worrying all flight whether the whole trip is wasted by an overzealous scanner.

2b… but then, how safe is FedEx to ship film? I'm thinking totally fine, but… is it?

Sorry if these seem like silly questions, I'm just curious what others have done.