Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Film Holder Carrying Bags

Re: Suggestions for Film Holder Carrying Bags

I bought three cooler bags a long while back...zippered, insulated (padded) and hold 5 to 6 8x10 holders -- strap, but not a great one. I put them into a hard-sided ice chest in the car. from these folks http://www.californiainnovations.com/coolers.html but nothing on the site quite the same. Good luck!
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Thanks everyone. I wound up buying this: http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/prod...ers/PB120.html

I read great reviews that these kept ice from melting for 44 hours.

Now, I don't think I want to put any ice packs in the outer pockets, though, for fear of any condensation occurring when I take them out into the dry hot air. Right? I'm assuming if they are that good at insulating, it should be fine.

Oh, and I got the light gray one, thinking that would be best.
    --

Michael Gaillard

What does the heat do? I mean, the holders won't melt, the film won't melt.

I'm not being condescending I'm trying to learn.

I just use a zippered briefcase for my 8x10 holders. But I'm dealing with snow, freezing hands, and static filled air, not blistering heat. This is for non-long walking trips, long hikes I would use a backpack.

I'd think heat would tend to effect color emulsions more profoundly than B&W, but that's just a guess oh my part.
    However, Ansel Adams wrote that he preferred painting his gear boxes white in order to reflect heat.
    I would assume he knew a thing or two, LOL!.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gaillard View Post
    Thanks everyone. I wound up buying this: http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/prod...ers/PB120.html

Now, I don't think I want to put any ice packs in the outer pockets, though, for fear of any condensation occurring when I take them out into the dry hot air. Right? I'm assuming if they are that good at insulating, it should be fine.

No ice packs. Please.
    Save the ice for coolers containing the beer
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Right. Got it.
    --

Michael Gaillard

that looks like a perfect bag for carrying extra film holders and I may buy one for that. In the bag I prefer a Gnass cascade holder or the PBP version. As per the color of the bag-I know this is not de rigueur for photographers but its not a fashion show. For various accessory bags like these I get them in different bright colors (the brighter the better) so at a glance I can see if I left something on site, in the motel room, on top of the car etc. In dim light or when I was in a panicked rush it has totally saved my butt a few times.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

In this case, a $6 trader joes cooler or any other padded bag under $10 is going to serve the same purpose. If it's 100 degrees outside, eventually everything in your bags will get close to that temp. Your film will be fine, even in many days at that temp.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I bought three cooler bags a long while back...zippered, insulated (padded) and hold 5 to 6 8x10 holders -- strap, but not a great one. I put them into a hard-sided ice chest in the car. from these folks http://www.californiainnovations.com/coolers.html but nothing on the site quite the same. Good luck!
    I wish I'd bought more of those from Matt at the time. Best 8x10 bags ever!

I use a cooler bag that I got at a thrift store for just a few dollars.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

I have a photobackpacker setup in my little daypack. I bought two large lens cases and set them sideways. They handle about 5-6 holders each, zipper up if I need them to. For dust in the desert, ziplock bags.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing