Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Darkroom frame

Re: Darkroom frame

Drew, I thought you might appreciate the saw reference. I'll do you a favor and not mention the router and dust collector...

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

What next, lawn mowers?
    Tin Can

Don't get me started...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    What next, lawn mowers?

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    Don't get me started...
    At least I have no grass man. That's a pun or double entendre.

Tin Can

Drew Wiley

I've got sixty grand of Festool sitting in the next room that hasn't been put away yet, more across the street, two more trucks in transit, and am still doing paperwork for more. Then there's Fein, Metabo, Bosch. I call my office, "Little Germany". I'm worn out. Of course, true to the Euro theme, I'll be packing the Norma tomorrow, albeit with only one German lens (a G-Claron) - the rest will be Fuji's. Don't tell anyone!

Jim Sidinger

Sorry to come in with such a low tech solution. I had found a box of paper once which was fine except had some stiff curl from being dried out in our low humidity climate. Rather than trying to build/buy v. easel, I found that some double sided artist tape applied to my Saunders base worked well. Thin, held paper flat & did not put residue on paper. After done w/ that paper, easily removed.

Drew Wiley

Holding edges down can be accomplished simply by the adjustable masking blades on easels which have them. If you paper still has too much curl, a bit of removable masking tape applied to the blades and frame (not paper itself) is a suitable solution. But this does not hold the entire piece of paper flat. And it can
    still buckle during exposure. A good vac easel with solve both problems.

Jim Sidinger

Drew, you are right and I did not think to add that the Saunders has blades for the periphery. Those and the 'badge' magnets on the blades seem to do the job around the edge.

My problem was the center of the 16x20 paper w/ the curl. Since I store my paper face down with a flat weight on it and have outfitted my paper safe as a humidor as well, I have been lucky enough not to have much low humidity curl on fresh paper. If I did, I'd definitely think v.easel as you suggest.

As it was, with the problem only being with that one paper batch I did not want to go to the trouble & expense of v. easel when the tacky (not sticky) double sided artist tape seemed to do the trick.

Drew Wiley

You can actually turn the Saunders Pro easels into vac easels if you seal up the back and slots, and add the necessary holes and vac port. Not perfect, but good
    enough for most purposes. Or cannibalize the just the masking blade assembly for something more seriously fabricated. I have done both, plus totally home-made
    rigs.