Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jobo prices...ridiculous

I have no idea where I am now.

Re: Jobo prices...ridiculous

I was very lucky in that I was given all my JOBO equipment. But after using it for a few years, I would pay the current prices for the consistency they give me. And like Photonsoup said, there are deals out there if you have the time to wait for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kav View Post
    I was very lucky in that I was given all my JOBO equipment. But after using it for a few years, I would pay the current prices for the consistency they give me. And like Photonsoup said, there are deals out there if you have the time to wait for them.
    You have my email when you're ready to pass that on hahaha

I look at it this way: I have one Jobo tank for 4x5 and another for 35/120. That's all I need. Ever. I haven't touched my old stainless or trays in months. I'm a pretty sloppy worker but I can easily get reproducible results with no processing flaws out of the 3010 and that's worth the price of admission when other options either require immaculate technique, careful setup or restrict what kinds of chemistry I can use.

Totally worth the price of admission to that sideshow.

I have no idea where I am now.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    You have my email when you're ready to pass that on hahaha
    I'll keep you in mind lol

Are the 3000 series expert drums better than 2500 series drums for 4x5 on a CPP2? I can do up to 12 sheets at a time. The only major errors so far I have traced to my own carelessness. What would the 3000 drums buy me?

Thanks

Jobo prices...ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Are the 3000 series expert drums better than 2500 series drums for 4x5 on a CPP2? I can do up to 12 sheets at a time. The only major errors so far I have traced to my own carelessness. What would the 3000 drums buy me?

Thanks
    They are easier to load, and slightly better in the even development (better for color developing) but if you ever plan to shoot something like ADOX IR400 film in 4x5 you basically have to get a 3010 because the film is so thin it is possible it will fall out of the 2509n reels, where the 3010 is just a hole so you don't have to worry it will shift or fall out.

If I had a CPP2/ATL I would own a 3010 (or maybe two) tank(s) already, but I don't, I do own and use a 3005 (the 8x10 version of the 3010) and it's definitely worth it and so easy to use.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    After dealing with uneven negs, I cringed and bought my first Jobo 3010 drum, yeah....pricey. Then I looked at the film and was blown away by the difference. I now have 3 x 3010 drums, 2x 3063 drums and some 2500 series. One of the best investments I have made. Film is expensive but not as much blown shots I was really counting on after days in the field, money spent on gas, time away from my wife, etc.

Lots of people say LF is cheap. I disagree because considering the way I need the results to be consistent, I have found it to be fairly expensive. This is why 6x6 is still by far my favorite, most productive and most creative output.
    After using tray and then trying out a number of tanks I found that the money spent for the Jobo 3010 Expert Drum well worth the money. The consistency is better, fewer mistakes and much higher quality. When you amortize the cost of the drum of the number of sheets of film that it will process, the cost is low. Especially as a result in use of the drum has increased the number of sheet of film used.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Quote Originally Posted by CropDusterMan View Post
    Prices are nuts...especially for the used stuff...stained reels and used tanks going for big bucks.
    Prices are anything but "nuts". They are what the market sets them to be. IOW, people think these things are highly valuable for their purposes and are therefore willing to pay a high price to obtain them. It's completely rational.

I did my research and everything I found pointed me toward a Jobo 3010 tank for 5x4 film. I paid the high price and couldn't be happier. Based on the rate at which I was screwing up film and processing using trays (I could eliminate everything but the scratches; I just wasn't willing to process one sheet of film at a time, and could never master shuffling the sheets without scratching), that 3010 tank easily paid for itself. But it's the amazingly even development, and the sheet-to-sheet consistency, that makes the 3010 worth the big bucks to me.

But if you're happy with tray development, carry on. Everyone should use the processes with which they are most comfortable. I'm just glad I found mine, and had the sense to buy in.

Bruce Watson

Bruce,

Thanks for your input...the one thing I agree whole heartedly with is the quality of the Jobo and it's high quality results...
    I've been using the 1500 Series for a long time and have great results...many years ago, I worked in Europe shooting
    professional cycling-we used Jobo Processors in the press rooms processing E6 to then scan for worldwide distribution...
    results were great, and those slides are as good as the day I processed them.

But $175 (current Ebay example) for a Jobo 2500 Series tank and reel just seems like a lot to pay. After all is said and
    done-all of you are right. I wont regret it. Quality will prevail. So I guess it's time to grab my ankles and quit whining. ;O)

I will say that I priced mine to sell sooner rather than wait for what would be a more realistic price or taking a chance on ebay and paying their fees.

The Processor and Expert tanks are sale pending (awaiting collection) and were such within a couple of hours. Could I have asked for more, probably, but I like the people that I have had discourse with both here and on APUG and I can rest easy knowing that my stuff is going to good homes where it will be utilised and looked after.

The chap that is collecting my Jobo stuff is only an hour and a half away and depending on the size of the vehicle he comes up in he will be going away with loads of freebies too so it is a win/win for both of us. I get to clear out the darkroom and he gets a lot of stuff he probably isn't expecting.