Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Format?

Question Best Format?

I've tried to figure out how to make this less of a loaded question but I don't think that's possible.

What is the best large format in terms of brand new equipment availability? I was thinking about 5x7, but it looks like the only newly manufactured film holders are $120/ea., and you could wait weeks for delivery.

So, what are thoughts on 4x5 and 8x10?

2 Bit Hack

Re: Best Format?

Yes, you will find an infinite number of answers here.
    From my perspective it would be 4x5. More available film, cheaper equipment, better availability of gear.
    From a quality perspective, that is one I will not get into. But larger is always better?
    From an artsy perspective perhaps some of the wet plate stuff but I do not know much about it. But it seems to be more susceptible to interpretation that the film work.
    Regards

Marty

From my perspective it would be 4x5. More available film, cheaper equipment, better availability of gear.
    plus lighter weight, more development options etc. I have also owned 6x9 and 8x10 but always come back to 4x5. For a cost/benefit/portability POV I think probably 5x7 is very good too, but I would worry about film costs down the line as the volume sold is significantly smaller than 4x5. As far as off-the-shelf availability vs. custom ordering for film 4x5 and 8x10 are the most common and will be readily available the longest.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

For economics, selection and portability, it's got to be 4x5, but "best" is a sterile, cold blooded term when used like that.
    What is "best" is what you find you can do your "best" with. For me it's 8x10
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Why do you need new film holders? There are plenty of perfectly good used ones out there for a lot less money. I own 10 8x10 holders and 10 4x5 holders. All were purchased used.

The best format is the one you are shooting.... (And are equipped to shoot)

I prefer 4x5 in the field and 8x10 in the studio...
    Robert Oliver

What are your goals? Color or B&W? What is your desired workflow? Contact print, enlarge, scan? There are a lot of considerations...

Why new you ask?
    Because some folks just want new stuff. Some like a brand new car and some like brand new camera equipment. Why pay $5/holder for old ones when you can pay $100+ for a new one. Plus, this keeps companies who support us in business.

I own both 4x5 & 8x10, but prefer the more rectangular aspect ratio of 5x7..so it gets used the most.

I agree, in some respects 4x5 is king, but I sold my 8x10 when I got a Durst 138 and an '38 Deardorff 5x7. 5x7 is a lovely rectangle, results in really nice small contact prints (yes...the love of Azo & Amidol) & the 35sq inches makes for very smooth enlargements. I do have a 4x5 reducing back, & with the price of 5x7 TMY2 over $200/box....I've been using it lately. The 4x5 back with a 450 makes for nice telephotos of distant mountains (say the Tetons from the road by the Snake River).