Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Realities of ordering camera from Japan & ship to US

Realities of ordering camera from Japan & ship to US

I see nice cameras for sale from dealers in Japan especially Toyos--but I wonder about the realities of shipping it to the US and what about any customs, import duties, taxes -- and things I am unaware of in that process. If you are in the US and have ordered a camera recently from A dealer in Japan kindly tell me what you learned and what was involved especially in any extra costs above and beyond shipping per se.

Wishing you great light!
    Paul

Re: Realities of ordering camera from Japan & ship to US

You pay, the seller sends.

If the seller sends by mail, no complications at all. If the seller sends by a delivery service such as FedEx, many complications because the delivery service will charge arms and legs for unnecessary customs brokerage services. Ask the seller to ship by EMS (Express Mail Service).

All this if you are in the US. If you are in the EU, you will be assessed VAT and duty.

No extra charges - EMS shipping was fast (about one week) and tracked.

I've purchased several lenses from Japanese eBay sellers and never had a problem. Shipping is usually about a week to the states via EMS.

Ditto. EMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    If the seller sends by mail, no complications at all. If the seller sends by a delivery service such as FedEx, many complications because the delivery service will charge arms and legs for unnecessary customs brokerage services.
    Unfortunately this isn't true. While it seems more likely if you use USPS or FedEx it can also occur using regular mail. There is no custom fee coming into the US from overseas on personal goods. However, Customs employs contractors to determine the custom fees on the inbound package. The contractor then charges you a rather large fee to repackage and ship to you. If you don't pay you'll never see it. even worse last time this happened it was a package from Great Britain. So you get a tracking number from GB and when it arrives at the US PO, you'll get a new tracking number. Unfortunately when customs grabs it, then it just disappears. Customs may have it for a month while you have no clue where it went. Very disturbing. Then one day you'll get an email (make sure the shippers has the email attached) stating to pay up or else. Quite a racket. And I think it hits high priced items more than low cost items.

Thanks, I checked -- the seller uses EMS. Good to know; now Im not frightened
    Dallas Texas HABS / HAER / HALS Photography
    Photographer/Author Marfa Flights: Aerial Views of Big Bend Country (Texas A&M University Press)
    Petroleum Oil Pics

Stuff from China and Japan come in 2-3 weeks. I've had half a dozen items since Christmas. I've been 90% lucky so far.
    The fly in the ointment is in sending it back if there's a problem, which I haven't had to do. Small problems, and I just sucked it up.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Drew Wiley

I once had a near-nightmare with British customs over a vintage camera, but never a problem with any reputable Japanese dealer. Weight will obviously affect
    shipping fees from wherever.

Wingnut/GearJammer/IBEWRetired Racer X 69's Avatar

I have purchased many items (not just camera related, but also vehicle license plates) from people in Canada, Scotland, Ireland, Holland, Sweden, France, Germany, Australia, China, Russia, Ukraine, Italy, Spain, Israel, South Africa, Korea and Japan. Not once have I had any difficulties, nor have I ever had a second party customs brokerage hold anything hostage for additional fees.

That is not to say there could be an issue concerning customs or import duties, but so far my experiences have bee good.
    Whiskey Is Sunlight Held Together By Water