Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Logistics

Re: Grand Canyon Logistics

Agreed. Go once and then again many times over. E, W, N, S, by car, jeep, foot or raft. History, geology, botany, legends, rumors, sights in black/white and color, changing weather. A mile vertical from 3,000' to more than 8,000', 277 river miles with road access at Lees Ferry and Diamond Creek (Whitmore Wash road only gets close). Camp, motel, back seat when tired. Go for the entertaining crowds or see no one for a month. Options are yours. And that's just Grand Canyon! Recommend reading John Wesley Powell and Robert Brewster Stanton for starters, then the Kolb Brothers of GC Kolb Studio ( http://grandcanyonhistory.clas.asu.e...olbstudio.html )
    GC river snaps: http://wwwpaztcn.wr.usgs.gov/fscc/st...aphy/index.php

Live it up.

For first trip, especially with young folks and limited mobility, I would book in Tusayan, drive in for day, let the youngsters mill around in Grand Canyon Village, snack, view the scenery, ride shuttle a bit, walk out to close points, talk to ravens. Watch for Condors. Second day I would send them down the South Kaibab trail to Cedar Crest and NO FARTHER. (NOT Bright Angel.) Water and backpacks. Gone 4 hours round trip with lunch and binocs. They will get a taste. While they are trekking you can put up a camera or just scout a few locations and chill.

They will have a real trail experience they will talk about for years, while not getting over their heads. You'll get an intro overall survey. Two nights at hotel. While the kids are out take the Mrs to lunch at one of the big rim lodges. Everyone happy.

I'd go heavy on binocs and hats, make sure the iphones are charged fully. You'll love it and so will they!

No mule trip for first timers. Trust me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by lfpf View Post
    Agreed. Go once and then again many times over. E, W, N, S, by car, jeep, foot or raft. History, geology, botany, legends, rumors, sights in black/white and color, changing weather. A mile vertical from 3,000' to more than 8,000', 277 river miles with road access at Lees Ferry and Diamond Creek (Whitmore Wash road only gets close). Camp, motel, back seat when tired. Go for the entertaining crowds or see no one for a month. Options are yours. And that's just Grand Canyon! Recommend reading John Wesley Powell and Robert Brewster Stanton for starters, then the Kolb Brothers of GC Kolb Studio ( http://grandcanyonhistory.clas.asu.e...olbstudio.html )
    GC river snaps: http://wwwpaztcn.wr.usgs.gov/fscc/st...aphy/index.php

Live it up.
    Where can you go in with a jeep? I didn't think that was possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Langham View Post
    For first trip, especially with young folks and limited mobility, I would book in Tusayan, drive in for day, let the youngsters mill around in Grand Canyon Village, snack, view the scenery, ride shuttle a bit, walk out to close points, talk to ravens. Watch for Condors. Second day I would send them down the South Kaibab trail to Cedar Crest and NO FARTHER. (NOT Bright Angel.) Water and backpacks. Gone 4 hours round trip with lunch and binocs. They will get a taste. While they are trekking you can put up a camera or just scout a few locations and chill.

They will have a real trail experience they will talk about for years, while not getting over their heads. You'll get an intro overall survey. Two nights at hotel. While the kids are out take the Mrs to lunch at one of the big rim lodges. Everyone happy.

I'd go heavy on binocs and hats, make sure the iphones are charged fully. You'll love it and so will they!

No mule trip for first timers. Trust me on this.
    I agree, the mule ride could be very tiring and expensive for a first timer and you definitely don't get to stop and take pictures!

For those that can make it half way down on their feet, the Indian Gardens overlook area is a must see! I was there the first time and didn't go out to the overlook area, what an idiot, I can't believe I missed one of the best photo opportunities, I must go back as I only had a chance to catch the evening light the second time.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Jim, have you tried looking at lodging in Williams, AZ ? Sure, you'll have a small drive to get to GC, but not as far as from Tucson. There are plenty of wonderful overlook places without having to utilize the mules. As Vaughn pointed out, it will be quite chilly at the Rim in March.

Les
    Williams was my thought and then take the Grand Canyon Railroad up to the Grand Canyon. The train is super relaxed, enjoyable way to get to the Grand Canyon. As Drew pointed out, lots to see here in Northern AZ.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Where can you go in with a jeep? I didn't think that was possible?
    Toroweap/Tuweap on the north rim. Unique view right down to the river 2000-3000 feet below. Camping only, at the end of a 60+ mile gravel road that turns into a high-clearance required track (4 wheel drive recommended) for the last 5 miles or so.

Unforgettable. Don't fall...

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by biedron View Post
    Toroweap/Tuweap on the north rim. Unique view right down to the river 2000-3000 feet below. Camping only, at the end of a 60+ mile gravel road that turns into a high-clearance required track (4 wheel drive recommended) for the last 5 miles or so.

Unforgettable. Don't fall...

Bob
    OMG in going!! Although I probably won't drive out there in my current vehicle so I'll have to fly and get a rental, but it would be cool to drive all the way there from CT!

[QUOTE=StoneNYC;1217372]Where can you go in with a jeep? I didn't think that was possible?

Where can't you go in a jeep? Start in St. George, bring extra time, extra gas, boots, binos, shovel, spare spare tire, tow-strap to pull-out unsuspecting tourists, compass and head south in general direction of Mt. Trumbull, Grand Canyon-Parashant, Whitmore Wash, Toroweap/Tuweep and enjoy the sights, dusty days, quiet nights, volcanoes, lava flows and petroglyphs. http://www.blm.gov/az/st/en/prog/blm...atmon/gcp.html
    Post pics.

Not sure what I'll be driving. I have a 17 year old Land Rover that we got when we had two Great Danes (We had a Dane as an apartment puppy in downtown Tokyo, but that's a different story) - it's been a great car but stuff is wearing out and falling off - seats are coming apart, one door doesn't open, windows open and close sometimes, plastic cracking etc. It lives outside and the UV really does a job on paint etc. Good mechanical condition, "only" 140k miles, but starting to show it's age. Not sure it's up to the trip. Car is sort of in the same condition as me, come to think of it.

We have a new one on order but it looks like it won't get here until after the kids have gone home. We usually drive cars 15 to 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Not sure what I'll be driving. I have a 17 year old Land Rover that we got when we had two Great Danes (We had a Dane as an apartment puppy in downtown Tokyo, but that's a different story) - it's been a great car but stuff is wearing out and falling off - seats are coming apart, one door doesn't open, windows open and close sometimes, plastic cracking etc. It lives outside and the UV really does a job on paint etc. Good mechanical condition, "only" 140k miles, but starting to show it's age. Not sure it's up to the trip. Car is sort of in the same condition as me, come to think of it.

We have a new one on order but it looks like it won't get here until after the kids have gone home. We usually drive cars 15 to 20 years.
    That sounds like my 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, got it at 83,000 miles and drive it till 249,000 miles, could have fine the extra 1,000 miles but needed new tires and it was time for a newer car, one window didn't work, the heat only worked for the driver, transmission needed time to warm up before it actually would work, always smelled like there was oil burning, the rear wheel would always go flat, same wheel, change the rims and still happened so it must've been something with the camber pulling on the edge of the wheel and letting air out or something, but the seats were actually in pretty good shape, the backseat didn't look like it had been touched and even the dealer that I bought my new car from commented that he was amazed at how pristine the seats were, I always took care when I put something else back there and they used good real leather in the older Saabs. So I decided it was time to get a "brand-new" to me 2008 Land Rover LR2 with 111,000 miles. I'll certainly have it another 100,000 miles, but cost a heck of a lot more from the dealer than the 2001 Saab did from a private seller...

The sad part is the gas mileage is the same! Lol.

Unfortunately for me it appears the previous owner also used his Land Rover for his dogs, as there are remnants of them stuck in the seats back from the trunk side, I can't get the hair out no matter how hard I try, it's right at the edges and it just sticks in there, hopefully all the dander will go away from open windows in summer as I'm a little allergic lol! The backseats are in as good condition as the Saab, and the front seats aren't as much real leather as the Saab either, that's really my only complaint, because I buy leather seats on purpose because of the comfortability, these fake leather or half fake leather seats make me sweat and I don't like it, I'll probably have someone reupholster the driver seat in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    That sounds like my 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, got it at 83,000 miles and drive it till 249,000 miles, could have fine the extra 1,000 miles but needed new tires and it was time for a newer car, one window didn't work, the heat only worked for the driver, transmission needed time to warm up before it actually would work, always smelled like there was oil burning, the rear wheel would always go flat, same wheel, change the rims and still happened so it must've been something with the camber pulling on the edge of the wheel and letting air out or something, but the seats were actually in pretty good shape, the backseat didn't look like it had been touched and even the dealer that I bought my new car from commented that he was amazed at how pristine the seats were, I always took care when I put something else back there and they used good real leather in the older Saabs. So I decided it was time to get a "brand-new" to me 2008 Land Rover LR2 with 111,000 miles. I'll certainly have it another 100,000 miles, but cost a heck of a lot more from the dealer than the 2001 Saab did from a private seller...

The sad part is the gas mileage is the same! Lol.

Unfortunately for me it appears the previous owner also used his Land Rover for his dogs, as there are remnants of them stuck in the seats back from the trunk side, I can't get the hair out no matter how hard I try, it's right at the edges and it just sticks in there, hopefully all the dander will go away from open windows in summer as I'm a little allergic lol! The backseats are in as good condition as the Saab, and the front seats aren't as much real leather as the Saab either, that's really my only complaint, because I buy leather seats on purpose because of the comfortability, these fake leather or half fake leather seats make me sweat and I don't like it, I'll probably have someone reupholster the driver seat in summer.
    Ask one of the homicide inspectors from your local PD. They know of people who professionally clean up gory crime scenes. Dog hair would be an easy job.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White