Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your dark room "luxuries?"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What are your dark room "luxuries?"

The kinds of things that, while aren't necessities are just so darned nice to have and you don't feel like you've wasted money on them? I try to keep my dark room spartan, but I do have a few very useful not exactly a necessity accessories.
    I'll go first---

A Print Washer. Mine's a Versalab I got it years before we were put on water meters so I suppose for once I was ahead of the times.

A Contact Proofer. Mine's a Printfile. Easier to use than the contact frame, safer than a plain sheet of heavy glass and cleaner (no fingerprints) and far less expensive than one of those contact printers.

An exposure guide.The old Kodak circular step tablet. I think Delta makes the same thing now. Making a 1 minute exposure with one of these on the test print is simpler than blocking the light in intervals (or at least is seems that way for me)

A dry mount press. This one is an old bug eyed Seal Jumbo 150. It flattens fiber prints flat.

A light box. A See-Rite from a crafts store (Michael's?) is what I have. This is great for revealing defects in negatives before printing.

What not exactly a necessity accessories do you find useful in your dark room?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: What are your dark room "luxuries?"

A good stereo, and a bunch of vinyl and cd's to go with it!

A refrigerator full of beer, okay, it's in the kitchen, but I'll make the walk...

Bunny slippers! well, now it's just getting decadent...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

A comfy high stool so I can sit while developing film.

The absence of phone and computer.

A locked door, with 'no entry' posted.

Private time, much like meditation.
    Tin Can

I hoping to start building my next darkroom within a few months and it will definitely include the deeply padded floor matts you find in beauty salons.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

My Reinholdt (did I spell his name right?) dodging tools. You can get much cheaper tools, or make them yourself. But after using his, I never want to go back.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Luxuries? Bloody hell, if only. My darkroom luxuries amount to actually having a place to develop my negatives and, soon when my 35mm enlarger arrives, be able to do contact prints.

I have a po'boy darkroom, if you could even call it that. My Ilford programmable timer might be described as a luxury by some though.

My darkroom has plenty of luxuries, because they are cheap these days.

Peak enlarger focuser. eyeballs or cheap focusers work, but these can cost hundreds. I got one with a c-list purchase once for $10 and took it because I knew it was a nice brand, but was surprised by it's following and value when I got
    home.

Red LED tracklights for safelights. Re-aim safelight coverage anytime.

I do have a drymount press. I don't call it a luxury as I only paid $100 for it, but it's a huge step up from the metal-cloth print dryers or blotter books. Flattens alt process paper well too when it comes off a roll.

The homemade UV box is a luxury compared to the sun or metal halide floodlight because it's in the darkroom and quicker.

Upgrading from analog gralab 300's and the time-o-lites seems like a luxury too. Gralab 450/451 is the choice for me.

Pleasant colors and decor. Ta heck with dark gray walls, etc. I did the latter with a previous darkroom, and it was horrible.

Four sinks, to handle any size trays... Stereo system to be installed ... HVac system to deliver constant temp and fresh air.. exhaust fan to take away the stinky stuff... industrial
    shelving to hold all my chemicals.... Thomson safelights to brighten even the most stormy days... patient and loving wife who cleans all my stinky clothes.... good clients who
    give me work...brand new Jobo processor and new Drytac hot vacumm hot press... very thick industrial matts to walk on... did I mention loving wife who allows me to work to my heart content.

A dart board with red safe light on it. I can throw a round of darts while processing a print.

The dart board is on the door to the bathroom... There is a bathroom in my darkroom.. that is definitely a luxury.
    Dennis