Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100mm lenses and shutters for 6x9

100mm lenses and shutters for 6x9

Hi Folks,

I found out the hard way that a Nikkor 65mm won't really be suitable for deeply recessed lensboard. So I'm now looking at a 100mm Rodenstock Sironar and a 100mm schneider kreuznach. I assume that they're both good lenses, so I was wondering about the shutters. The latter has a synchro compur and the former seems to have a nameless something-or-other that likely came with the lens. They both look pristine and they're both described as pristine. Do the shutters both have a decent reputation for reliability and robustness? (the respective ebay sellers both have 100% ratings, so I'm not too worried about present condition).

Also, do you know if the flange diameters would fit a lensboard hole that is about 25mm's in diameter? That's about what they look like in the photos (they're both attached to linhof-type boards), but I thought I'd better make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Evan

I guess I should qualify my above statement. It's not really the Nikkor 65mm that's the problem; it's the Copal #0 shutter that's a tad too big for comfort in the recess.

Drew Wiley

Re: 100mm lenses and shutters for 6x9

105 Fuji and Schneider standard plastmats are affordable and excellent. I happen to own a 100 Nikkor M, which is probably the pick of the litter; but these are rare.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

I think Rodenstock made a 100mm apo-sironar-s. You can also look for a 100mm apo-symmar.

Another thought just occurred to me. Could I simply pop the Nikkor 65mm into a Compur shutter? Is there a table somewhere which gives flange diameters and/or compatibility info?

Go here http://1drv.ms/1w0vbMD and read the catalogs. Pay attention to coverage. With all due respect, you blundered when you gave in to impulse and bought your Oschwald Arca-Swiss. You've been flailing around ever since. Take some time off from buying to educate yourself.

I've coveted the 105/3.5 Nikkor-M for ages, but it covers only 110 mm @ f/22. A Nikkor-W (100/5.6, older; 105/5.6, newer) would probably suit you better. And don't limit yourself to 100 mm lenses. A 105 will do as well for you.

My list also has information of shutters, including diameters of mount holes for standard shutters. Your board (original Ochswald Arca-Swiss 6x9, innit?) will accept #00 shutters, the lenses you're thinking of are in #0. You need another board or to have the one you already have rebored for #0. Reboring is no big deal or expense, getting another board may (I'm not well-acquainted with the original 6x9 A-S system, boards for my 2x3 Cambo are scarce) take a while.

If the Sironar is in a Synchro Compur it is fairly old. If the Schneider is a jes' plain (convertible) Symmar, it was delivered in a Syncro Compur, may have been remounted in another #0. If it is a Symmar-S, it can have been delivered in any of at least four different shutters. Newer lenses are better than jes' plain Symmars.

Quote Originally Posted by quixoticcassandra View Post
    Another thought just occurred to me. Could I simply pop the Nikkor 65mm into a Compur shutter? Is there a table somewhere which gives flange diameters and/or compatibility info?
    You reinforce my point that you should learn more before you spend another penny. Asking random questions here is a very poor way to learn anything.

The 65/4.5 Nikkor was delivered in a Copal #0 shutter. The cells are direct fits in a Synchro Compur #0, whose OD is ~ 4 mm smaller than a Copal #0's. I don't know what your problem is, but I doubt swapping shutters will solve it.

Found it:
    http://www.sizes.com/tools/shutter_photo.htm
    Looks like the Nikkor won't fit. But the chart will come in handy.

Found it:
    http://www.sizes.com/tools/shutter_photo.htm
    Looks like the Nikkor won't fit. But the chart will come in handy.
    Eh? Wot? Why won't a 65/4 Nikkor's cells fit any #0 shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Your board (original Ochswald Arca-Swiss 6x9, innit?) will accept #00 shutters, the lenses you're thinking of are in #0. You need another board or to have the one you already have rebored for #0. Reboring is no big deal or expense, getting another board may (I'm not well-acquainted with the original 6x9 A-S system, boards for my 2x3 Cambo are scarce) take a while.
    Here's the board. The flange hole is only about 25mm, so I assume that the only thing that'll fit is a Compur 00. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	recessed board.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	128906

Prontor Press #00 too. I have several.

But what's the problem with your Nikkor? Board needs to be rebored (no big thing, as www.skgrimes.com for a price) or shutter controls are inaccessible when the shutter is in the recess?

Interesting picture. It looks like the board has an adapter to allow #00 shutters to be mounted to it and is in fact bored for a larger shutter. Ask the seller for a rear view.