Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The pine board camera build

Re: The pine board camera build

Depends on the lens. Some lenses have what is called "focus shift", meaning that if you focus wide open then stop down the focus changes. A modern lens will not do that, but your simple lens might.nThe way to check is to focus on something, then stop down, then recheck focus. If its no longer in focus, then you have focus shift, and will need to focus at your working aperture.

The loss of contrast looks like you might have had a light leak. Maybe when you pulled the dark slide you accidentally pulled the holder away from the camera, letting in stray light.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Depends on the lens. Some lenses have what is called "focus shift", meaning that if you focus wide open then stop down the focus changes. A modern lens will not do that, but your simple lens might.nThe way to check is to focus on something, then stop down, then recheck focus. If its no longer in focus, then you have focus shift, and will need to focus at your working aperture.

The loss of contrast looks like you might have had a light leak. Maybe when you pulled the dark slide you accidentally pulled the holder away from the camera, letting in stray light.
    Thanks Tim, the paper holder fits tight in the camera so can`t pull it away.
    What I do notice and if ya compare negatives and pictures of the last two trials you see that the better contrast came from the darker image, could that make the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Pitchy View Post
    After looking over the picture I see that last picture lost some contrast compared to the one on the lower left of my last post, wonder what caused that?

Also, Stone NYC, stay safe in that storm coming your way.
    Thanks, hopefully I'll get the courage to try and re-shoot this ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318267.047936.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	128535

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318280.582331.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	128536

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318293.283046.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	128537

Last year I shot it with holders I got from someone else and claimed had film in it, I did check and the film was there and happened to take all my shots on that grafmatic holder I had, turns out 1 the film he said it was was not what was in there and 2 the film had already been exposed to light and was totally black, so... Lesson learned, he more than compensated and was an honorable seller BTW, but yea, hoping I can snag the shot this year. Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thanks, hopefully I'll get the courage to try and re-shoot this ...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318267.047936.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	128535

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318280.582331.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	116.3 KB 
ID:	128536

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422318293.283046.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	128537

Last year I shot it with holders I got from someone else and claimed had film in it, I did check and the film was there and happened to take all my shots on that grafmatic holder I had, turns out 1 the film he said it was was not what was in there and 2 the film had already been exposed to light and was totally black, so... Lesson learned, he more than compensated and was an honorable seller BTW, but yea, hoping I can snag the shot this year. Maybe...
    Cool beans, looking forward to seeing more pics.

I'm not sure. But it definitely looks like you have a light leak in the upper right corner of that last image. Unless thats the sun over there, and if that is the case, if the sun is facing your lens, then that can cause flare, which will reduce contrast. If the sun is shining on the surface of your lens, try shading it with something, and that will improve contrast.

I'm not sure. But it definitely looks like you have a light leak in the upper right corner of that last image. Unless thats the sun over there, and if that is the case, if the sun is facing your lens, then that can cause flare, which will reduce contrast. If the sun is shining on the surface of your lens, try shading it with something, and that will improve contrast.
    Best thing for bellows this size IMO is.... Yup you guessed it, black gaffers tape

(Duct tape won't do unfortunately as it isn't light proof, at least none I have used)

Cool beans, looking forward to seeing more pics.
    Thanks, sadly based on the wind gusts (25-35mph) and snow accumulation of 3-5 inches per hour, and the state shutting down the roads (emergency driving only) I won't be going out tonight I don't think, not that I'm worried about my safety but the tripod I own (and the tripod head in particular) won't do well for 1-2 minute long night exposures. But hopefully another less blustery snow will happen before spring I'll get other shots just not this one, heck the first time I waited 4 years for the perfect snow, so you might be waiting a while. Hah!

Thanks , I`ll see if I can find some of that tape in the stores.
    There was no sun when I took that last picture.
    Should be able to try some more pics today.

Thanks Stone, by all means post your car and thanks for the kind words.

Fellars I`m digging this camera, we just took a couple pictures and it`s so easy to use but taking a picture of the pictures makes them look worse than they are.
    When I focused the subject on the glass I could see her fillings but the end result is a little blurry but I think I discovered the problem.
    The focus glass is up against the camera when I focus but the film is about a 1/4 inch further back in the holder so I`ll have to compensate for that.
    Here`s todays result which look better in person, subject was 20 feet away, 2 inch stop and a one second exposure on the last one slightly longer on the darker one.
    I`ll have to make another smaller stop for clear days as it is a cloudy day.

Question, what on these pictures makes you think there`s a light leak?
    The bright white circles and area at the top is the sky between the trees.
    The dark across the bottom is the shadow of the modern camera when I took a picture of the picture.
    Also that white square in the upper left corner is where I had scotch tape holding it in the holder.

Something funny, the first time we took a picture I thought I had a magic film holder, I put a sheet of paper in it went out and took a picture, brought it in the house and opened it up and no paper.
    The paper fell into the camera when I opened the holder, happened twice .lol.

Bingo, fixed the glass and pretty dern clear, happy happy happy.

Next question, does it matter if ya focus with or without the stop

This is th picture that looks like it has a light leak. The bright spot in the upper right corner. But maybe that is glare. Did you scan or photograph the print?