Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8 x 10.. Is the Fresnel on backwards?

Intrepid 8 x 10.. Is the Fresnel on backwards?

Hi, Hoping somebody with much more smarts than me can help me out here..

I just recently purchased the new 8 x 10 Intrepid and on first inspection, am fairly impressed. I have never owned an 8 x 10 so do not have much to compare it to but I did handle an earlier 5 x 4 Intrepid and this seems like quite the improvement in build quality.

I ordered the fresnel to come with it and am thinking there is something wrong here? It is designed to go on the outer side of the GG but as is, I would say it is not usable.

Is it on backwards?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG-7968.jpg  

Re: Intrepid 8 x 10.. Is the Fresnel on backwards?

What lens do you have on the camera?

Thanks for the reply.. ��

It is an Industar 300mm 4.5. I think it just covers 8 x 10 @ infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperviking View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. ��

It is an Industar 300mm 4.5. I think it just covers 8 x 10 @ infinity.
    Perhaps stopped down, but not wide open I shouldn't think but I have no experience with this lens.

And I appreciate it's focused closer than infinity but it still looks very much like light fall-off due to image circle.
    If I were you, I'd try to get my hands on a lens that is designed for this format.

Regarding orientation of the fresnel, your loupe should have a smooth and not textured surface to focus upon.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyNL View Post
    Perhaps stopped down, but not wide open I shouldn't think but I have no experience with this lens.

And I appreciate it's focused closer than infinity but it still looks very much like light fall-off due to image circle.
    If I were you, I'd try to get my hands on a lens that is designed for this format.

Regarding orientation of the fresnel, your loupe should have a smooth and not textured surface to focus upon.
    Thanks, appreciate the answer..

Am not in front of the camera at the moment but don't think it is a coverage issue. If I move my head around, the bright hotspot moves around and I can see into the corners. By memory, I feel like I can also see the grooves of the fresnel..

Will have a better look when back in front of it but that is what I am thinking at this stage.. Not a massive issue, will just need to buy a mini hex set and turn it around.

Thanks again for your help...

It seems that the lens should cover the format.
    Perhaps you could post the same pic but without fresnel?

The intrepid fresnel is terrible, or is somehow designed for only super wide lenses, that’s the problem here. I had the same thing with one recently and sent the whole camera back for other reasons, although I would have sent the fresnel back even if I’d kept the camera. Worst fresnel I’ve ever seen.

I have 2 8X10 Horseman both LN

Both factory installed

One has it outside the other inside

Forget Fresnel
    Tin Can

Yikes!!

When offering a camera with but one fresnel lens, its typically best to have this fresnel be of slightly wider than "normal" focal length for the given format. This is because wider angle taking lenses need more "help" in redirecting rearward their increasingly oblique (as one moves towards edges of image) light rays, a phenomena also increasingly noticeable with decreasing taking-lens focal length.

But it looks in this case like the focal length of that fresnel is indeed way too short - or perhaps a combination of being moderately short with too great a spacing (cost saving measure?) between the concentric cuts.

Edit: Then again, I'd have thought that this "problem" would have made itself known almost right away to the manufacturer...given the popularity of the 300mm focal length for use with the 8x10 format - so perhaps there is indeed something else going on here?

Two thoughts:

1) As others have said, based on your pic it looks like the lens isn't fully covering the 8x10 format. I, too, would recommend seeing what it looks like without the fresnel.

2) I doubt this is the issue, but the first release of the fresnel looked EXACTLY like this on camera. I know because I had one. Intrepid realized their fresnel was not good, did something on their end, and sent me a new one. The second one was much better, but it is a fresnel...

I'm a little surprised by your comment that the lighted area moves around with you as you move your head because this isn't the way a fresnel lens generally works. You typically have to keep your head in direct alignment with the gg, otherwise the view darkens a lot. On my Intrepid 8x10 Mark II with fresnel and with any lens I have for this camera, if I move my head away from dead center attempting to clearly see the corners I can't because it's too dark. I don't know if this is due to the focal length of the fresnel, the design of it, or for some other reason, but the fresnel on my 4x5 Arca-Swiss doesn't have this issue.