Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Arca Swiss releases

New Arca Swiss releases

I love these guys... and their cameras!

http://www.digitaltransitions.com/im...-News-2014.pdf

Re: New Arca Swiss releases

It looks very good but I'm sure the price for the 4x5 must be very very high. Thanks for the link.

I'd like to know more about the central shutter and focal plane shutter (p 6).

Sexy stuff, as always. I'm intrigued by the idea of the F-Universalis with a Sony A7r or one of its eventual descendants, though I'm not certain what the advantages might be over adapting something like the Canon TS-E lenses. In theory I can see the advantage of greater adjustability of whatever and greater choice of optics, but in practice? I'm not sure.

The LulF camera, is it the P1 ball head used as a front/rear carrier?

Yes, exactly, there are two P1 ballheads, one in front and one at the rear.
    Taking into account the weight of the front and rear standards of a 11x14" camera, A/S have decided for indirect rise only.

I've manipulated the new Lulf at the recent 2014 Photokina fair and the new model is dual format 11x14" and 8x10".
    For the 8x10" format the camera is used reversed; a large lens panel is fitted where the 11x14" film holder usually slides in, and the lens board used in the 11x14" configuration is substituted with a 8x10" film back. Actually the 11x14" lens board has the same size and shape as a 8x10" rear accessory plate holder for a classical 8x10" F-line camera.

I'd like to know more about the central shutter and focal plane shutter (p 6).

Hi, Oren

Actually A/S already had an electromagnetic leaf shutter on their catalogue in the nineties.
    Copal shutters being discontinued, there is a need for different sources of shutters.
    At the 2014 photokina, Horseman had their ISS shutter systems on display, this is not new as well, I have the description of the Hoseman system dating from the nineties as well.
    Schneider also has an electronic leaf shutter but to the best of my knowledge, limited to 1/60-th of a second. The A/S leaf shutter is faster.
    At the 2012 photokina, Rodenstock announced something similar but I did not see it at the 2014 Rodenstock booth.
    And since DWH-Rollei was not present at the 2014 Photokina, I do not know about the current availability of electronic Rollei shutters for view camera lenses.

Regarding the A/S focal plane shutter, it is a module of about 5-10 mm (do not have the specs handy) in thickness that you can add to any 110 mm format frame.
    Hence you'll loose soem amount of back focal distance, this of course implies a severe constraint when combining the shutter with and ultra-wide lens like the 23 mm Rodenstock digital lens.
    As usual a focal plane shutter offers the ability to mount shutter-less barrel lenses, but you probably do not wnat to use a Petzval with your A/S digital camera ;-)
    A more intresting application would be to use one of the ultra-sharp copying lenses like the Apo-Rodagon D, those lenses being like many enlarger lenses sold a barrel lenses without shutter.

A linguistic remark : A/S mention "central shutter" in their press release, which sounds strange to US readers, in fact this is what we say in French (obturateur central) and probably in German (something like Zentralverschluss ??).
    In French un obturateur à feuille would be something extremely funny

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post

Yes, exactly, there are two P1 ballheads, one in front and one at the rear.
    Taking into account the weight of the front and rear standards of a 11x14" camera, A/S have decided for indirect rise only.

I've manipulated the new Lulf at the recent 2014 Photokina fair and the new model is dual format 11x14" and 8x10".
    For the 8x10" format the camera is used reversed; a large lens panel is fitted where the 11x14" film holder usually slides in, and the lens board used in the 11x14" configuration is substituted with a 8x10" film back. Actually the 11x14" lens board has the same size and shape as a 8x10" rear accessory plate holder for a classical 8x10" F-line camera.
    Interesting,
    what I don't understand is why using a ball head as a carrier? The 360degree pan on top of the ball head provide swing movements, so all needed is the tilt back-forward movement, by using a ball head, the tilt is not limited to back-forward direction, but all 360 degree around.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Songyun View Post
    Interesting,
    what I don't understand is why using a ball head as a carrier? The 360degree pan on top of the ball head provide swing movements, so all needed is the tilt back-forward movement, by using a ball head, the tilt is not limited to back-forward direction, but all 360 degree around.
    One would think Arca Swiss must/could have figured a way to make independent movements for the P1 standards for foe & aft & Right to left movements right? If not what a PITA that would/could be to use for repeatable movements .

Very cool cameras though.

I have no doubt that they have some tricks in the ball head, they can implement something like B2 easily, just dont know if they did that on this particular camera.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis Pacilla View Post
    One would think Arca Swiss must/could have figured a way to make independent movements for the P1 standards for foe & aft & Right to left movements right? If not what a PITA that would/could be to use for repeatable movements .

Very cool cameras though.