Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to add a "lighter" 300 to cover 8x10

Looking to add a "lighter" 300 to cover 8x10

OK,

I have been doing some research and still have a few questions. I currently shoot mostly 8x10 and my normal lens is a Fuji 300 CM-W in a Copal 3 shutter. It weighs in at a little over 2#. I sometimes hike with my 8x10 all day, and all my lenses tend to be on the heavy side. Of course they also tend to have great coverage. I have been thinking about a 3 lens set that would be "lightweight." (The Nikkor 150 would probably get left behind in this setup as it is no small lens even though it is in a Copal 1. It still weighs in at 2.3#.) My current Fuji 210 seems pretty decent in terms of weight and I do have a Fuji 450 that I can grab in lieu of the Nikkor 450. The 300 is the heavyweight that I need to replace, at least for those times of being away from the car.

My research shows: that the Fuji 300C has 380mm of coverage at f22.
    the Nikkor 300M has 325mm of coverage at f22.
    and the G Claron has 381mm of coverage at f22.

So, does that mean that the G Claron and Fuji will have still greater coverage when stopped down to f32 and f45 (which are going to be fairly common f stops when using 8x10?) My research shows that Nikon is conservative in their coverage, but I am not sure how that translates to f32 and f45. I don't have the lenses to try so I am hoping that I can get some help in this matter. Looking for something in a modern copal shutter that is smaller than my Fuji, but just as sharp and with coverage that comes close. Thanks. Jim

Re: Looking to add a "lighter" 300 to cover 8x10

There is also the Geronar 300mm F9 which is not as small as the fuji C, but is lighter then the other 2.

Looks like you picked some reasonable choices Jim. I use a 305 graphic Kowa and it is a nice lens. I did the same as you are thinking and swapped my 300 5.6 Fuji for the graphic Kowa. It's smaller and covers 11x14 but is f9 so not as bright but I haven't notice a problem. Same can be said of the 305 computar.

My 300mm f/6.3 Caltar is still listed in the F/S section. It weighs approx. 0.8 pounds on my digital shipping scale. Not a "prestige" lens, but still capable.

I've used the g claron on 8x10 for a decade or so. Lots of coverage, not that heavy.
    I had the 300M when I shot 4x5 and wanted something with more coverage and resolution for close up work.

I can't offer a comparison but I can say that the G Clarons are a joy to use. My "lightweight going for a hike 8x10 lens" is a 240 G Claron. I do have a 300M on an aerial camera and it is spectacular when shot wide open. As far as coverage with the 300M, I can't comment because it has never been on the snout of the 'dorff
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Les

Would 5.6 C. Zeiss *S*Tessar work ? I don't know the specs, but it looks small. PM me...if you would.

Les

Best compromise of light weight and coverage that I know of is the Fuji 300A f/9: 420mm image circle at f/22, weighs 410 grams in a Copal 1 shutter. They have been long discontinued but copies still show up for sale from time to time. Over the years I have owned two multi-coated copies of this lens; they were adequate performers (to my eyes the Nikon 300M was sharper but has far less coverage), but some folks swear by them.
    Last edited by Eric Leppanen; 17-Jan-2015 at 18:11.

Of the lenses that have been mentioned, I have the Geronar and the 305 G-Claron. The Geronar is lighter - it's a triplet, its weight is little more than that of the shutter alone - but the G-Claron has far larger coverage, especially stopped way down.

Yes, both the G-claron and the Fuji will have increasing coverage as they are stopped down. The G-claron will hit about 80 degrees at F45.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know