Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COPAL #3 -- FYI Caution

COPAL #3 -- FYI Caution

I have just bought a couple of lenses in Copal #3 shutters, and discovered to my shock that they can't be used on my Technika or Nagaoka. Although the hole size can be accommodated by the Tech board, the shutter itself is so much larger than the lensboard that there is physical interference with the supports for the front standard.
    It can, of course, be used with a "top hat" board, which I ended up buying. (I never had this problem before, even with very large Ilex shutters.)
    Thought that I might save someone the trouble of buying a lens in Copal #3 to find that it may not be usable for them.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: COPAL #3 -- FYI Caution

How about the 3/8 inch extension ring that sometimes accompanies these shutters? When included, the shutter is mounted about this distance in front of the lensboard.

No worries. Just get Technika extension boards from eBay. They're available in various extensions from 10-100mm. Cost is about $45 delivered for the short ones and $55 or so for the long versions.

EDIT: I just looked. For some reason all the reasonably priced extension boards aren't currently listed. Be patient and wait a day or two. I'm sure they be listed again soon.

Get a spacer or make one.
    There are a few threads on this in the archives.
    Two of my three lenses sit in Copal/Compur 3 shutters on Technika boards.

Linhof's own catalogs show 240mm and 300mm plasmats in Copal 3 offered for the Technika - it should be fine with the spacer ring. One can fit a Nagaoka too, with spacer ring or extension board, but it's arguable whether it's prudent to load that much weight on the front standard.

Bill,

Linhof makes special 3 size boards with the hole in a different location for those lenses that impact the sides of the hole in the camera body. Those lens boards are marked with a z after the product code and are sold on a special order bases.

So, as long as the rear elements fit through the hole with lenses in a 3 shutter there is no problem mounting those lenses on a Technika IV or later model.

You can contact the new Linhof distributor, OmegaBrandess, after next week for information and pricing on these special z boards.

Yes, I even make a spacer ring with matt board cutout. Works great, but I guess if you want 100% tolerance, you want to get one made with metal shims.

Here is the Verito on the Japanese adapter:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	128161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	128162
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I've found similar with a 7x5 Seneca New View, I've a 240mm Tessar fitted at the moment, it would be the same with my City View of I had the whole of the original front standard. However I acquired a 2nd City View again 7x5 nd was rather surprised to find the front standard and lens board is larger (as is the focus bed).

The 240mm Nikon-W in a Copal #3 I bought recently on this forum has a spacer with it, I'd assumed it was standard.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Linhof's own catalogs show 240mm and 300mm plasmats in Copal 3 offered for the Technika - it should be fine with the spacer ring. One can fit a Nagaoka too, with spacer ring or extension board, but it's arguable whether it's prudent to load that much weight on the front standard.
    Owen, the Verito weighs just over 1.5# so it's marginally okay on the Naggy. The 240 Symmar-S is at least a pound heavier which is probably too much (for a 3# camera with 5x7 extension).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)